Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Natural Gas Appliance/Range Flex-Line To Re-Position Awkwardly Located Mains Vent?

Jim_NY
Jim_NY Member Posts: 46
edited January 2022 in Strictly Steam
To get an air vent up and away from the main piping and between beams, have seen pictured here many creative routings - using nipples, unions, elbows, etc.
Looking up at an old, badly placed vent today, my cousin said "too bad you can't use one of those flexible stainless steel gas stove supply lines."

So in the spirit of fun speculation - besides expense and thread differences, could something like that work? Even long term?

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,741
    As long as it didn't sag & make a trap, it should work; but there's now a spot on the wall of shame marked 'future picture of a gas flex line used to connect a steam vent'.

Seriously, if a flex line will work (no up&down that'll make a trap that'll hold water), so will pipe.

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,891
    Could water puddle in the corrugated creases ? I would use nipples and 45's for good drainage

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Hap_Hazzardmattmia2
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    I say give it a shot. I love learning from other people's mistakes. :D
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
    pecmsg
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,055

I say give it a shot. I love learning from other people's mistakes. :D

Thats the best education!
    Hap_Hazzard
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    I'd use soft or hard copper and fittings. You could even go down and back up if you put a tee at the bottom and another tee at the main and connected them with a pipe downhill. I could see being able to come down over to the next joist bay and build an antler with something like this. The large tube carries the air, the small tube carries the water. Insulation probably would be a good idea too.
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,025
    A union or two can help with making avoiding having to rotate threaded fittings or solder too close to beams.

Flex for a non-intended purpose is a truly wild speculation. Have fun with them, but don't do it.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,938
    > Flex for a non-intended purpose is a truly wild speculation. Have fun with them, but don't do it.

You really know how to make me want to try something! :joy:

NJ Steam Homeowner.
    Free NJ and remote steam advice: https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/new-jersey-steam-help/
    See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,180
    Isn't there a mini tube steam system that uses copper?
    I would try soft type K, maybe 1/2" OD with flare fittings.
    mattmia2
  • Jim_NY
    Jim_NY Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2022
    Well. This was fun!
    If he ever seriously meant to, perhaps I'd suggest he contact a professional - and I don't necessarily mean a steam-heat professional... :D
    Hap_Hazzard
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 10,211
    JUGHNE said:

Isn't there a mini tube steam system that uses copper?
    I would try soft type K, maybe 1/2" OD with flare fittings.

I think there is a brochure for it in the library.