Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is causing this issue? We replaced zone valves every 2 years it seems.

iiswansongii
iiswansongii Member Posts: 2
edited January 2022 in Gas Heating
Hello! I'm hoping someone can offer some advice with the trouble we are having. For the past 4 years we replaced a zone valve to one of the zones in our house twice. I understand zone values are supposed to last for years and years (more then 2 years) but this year again the zone valve is not shutting off when the temperature is reached. It stays on. To fix this problem we had the thermostat updated to a new one, replaced zone valve motors and entire box many times. What information do you need to help trouble shoot?

Thank you for any advice you can provide!

I dont know if i put this in the right category. We have Gas powered hot water baseboard heating.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,430
    Are the valves installed so that they are closing AGAINST the flow?

Some pics would help.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    iiswansongii
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,705
    A spring return type zone valve? Send some pictures.
    Most often eIther the motor fails and the valve does not open, or the end switch fails and it does not fire the boiler and pump.
    Ocassionally the valve mechanism goes bad.
    It would be good to know what fails.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    iiswansongii
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    What type of zone valves, how many total, and what size is the transformer (VA), to which these zone valves are connected?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,989
    You could be overpumping the system. Those zone valves ought to last 10 years
  • ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 873
    In addition, I've witnessed many zone valves short-cycling due to incorrect thermostat anticipator (cycles) setting.
  • iiswansongii
    iiswansongii Member Posts: 2
    I don't know what angle you need so i took a few. The one that is failing is the one that says bedroom 2nd from right. The furnace is to the right. They are connected to a pipe that goes across, furnace on the right and the last box that is horizontal on the far left is for the 3rd floor converted attic room.
    We have one zone upstairs. 2 zones on the main floor, and 1 zone in the basement.

Let me know if you need a different angle.

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,891
    They look like power open and power close ? The right thermostat is important

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,705
    ThoseWhite Rogers have a rotating spool. What happened is the fluid can cause the spool to stick and they shear the coupling between the motor and valve.

If you knew for sure what caused the failure it might be worth running a Hydronic cleanerin the system, flush and refill with good water.

While not my favorite valve, they do seem to last 15 years or more it treated fairly.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Derheatmeister
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,976
    Have you made any attempt to find out just what is failing in the valve? Or are you content to just say well, it broke again, replace it?

With any mechanical (or electronic!) device, if you get successive failures of the same component, it is often not the fault of the component at all, but of something external to it which is causing it to fail. You need to find out what, and fix that -- then the component will stop failing.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,609
    It is always a good idea to manually cycle the valve body itself when you change the powerhead. If the valve itself is difficult to move by hand, that is a good indicator that the powerhead will have a reduced lifespan.
    You may be at the point where changing the who valve (preferably to a newer design) is in order.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Derheatmeister
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,326
    edited January 2022
    Big Ed_4 said:

They look like power open and power close ? The right thermostat is important

This valve is operated by a standard 2 wire thermostat. On a call for heat the motor opens and there is a heat activated warp switch that opens so the motor stops at 90° where the valve is open. When the call for heat is satisfied, the heater is deactivated and the warp switch closes to power the motor another 90 degrees to close the valve. So there are 3 things that could be causing the problem.

1. The warp switch may not close at the end of a call for heat
    2. There is a holding contact that keeps the motor operating until it completes the 90 degree turn. this holding contact may be defective.
    (both 1 and 2 can be fixed with a spray electric contact cleaner)
    3. The valve body (the part attached to the pipe) may have a defect that is causing undue stress on the motor/valve mechanism. This will cause the motor to operate at a higher current to overcome the added friction. Over time the motor will fail. (replace the entire valve. body and actuator)

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

Zman
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,891
    Thanks for the lesson

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,127
    Possible have them changed out to a better zone valve and have some one straighten out your zone valve wiring and add a zone valve controller makes life easier all around . As others have stated fluid condition is important and if the system was not properly cleaned and flushed you will continue to have issues w valves sticking and failing .i would change them out to taco sentry zone valves ,have not had a issue w a single one of them since I have discontinued using Honeywell as well as other zone valves , better design and quite reliable . I just find the time in going through some one bird nest wiring is unacceptable when fairly in expensive controllers are readily available and for the past few years I’m basically just using the exp zone and pump controllers just a few extra opts I’ve r the standard for a few cents more it makes sense plus makes trouble shoot easier for a tech which means less time trouble shooting smaller service bills just my observation , nothing worse then messing w a bird nest and have loose wire nuts to fart about with and getting call backs on terrible low voltage control wiring it’s 2022 for god sake make it easy on everyone and step up your game and modernism your wiring isn t asking for much from a contractor being a bird nest of wiring isn’t what I call top notch peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    wmgeorge
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,127
    Ps on a smaller note w zone valves on the supply you should have either a manual by pass w a globe valve or even better a pressure differential valve which is set to by pass instead of dead head pump and increase velocity a across the valves as they open and close a little better install design ,but that usually to much for most contractor to think about when replacing a hot water boiler . Just some food for thought again Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating