Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Moving Basement Steam Mains

Kjmass1
Kjmass1 Member Posts: 241
I'm curious if anyone has undertaken relocating some 1 pipe steam mains for a basement remodel. I'm sure it's expensive, but it is cheaper than lowering my slab floor so I'm all ears.

I have a main that's about 1' below my 80" ceiling. I can't have any obstructions less than 6'4" per code, so instead of crossing the room down the middle, I'd like to re-pipe tight to the walls. A couple questions-

Can my steam guy re-use/re-thread the 70 year old mains?
My take offs currently are 45 degrees then go vertical up in to the walls. Any reason these can't be more of a 90 degree vertical so it hugs the wall?
Can mains be encased in closed cell foam?
Can the condensate drain follow the same path back as the main just a foot below?
I do have a couple large main vents, I plan to frame out an access box for that.

Square footage is at a premium so I'd like to get everything as tight to the foundation walls as I can. Thanks.
Kevin

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,265
    I've undone or re-piped several attempts at this done by others. Doing this over is many times worse than getting it right the first time. You'll get a good handful of solid answers here but you need a highly qualified steam installer to review this work and determine its feasibility.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    ethicalpaulmattmia2Hap_Hazzard
  • Kjmass1
    Kjmass1 Member Posts: 241
    Was planning on New England Steamworks, seems like he is the go to around here.
    ethicalpaulmattmia2pecmsgHap_Hazzard
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,971
    Yup, If you can get Ryan to do this, you'll be fine. Sit back and let him work and relax.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaulmattmia2
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,265
    Kjmass1 said:

Was planning on New England Steamworks, seems like he is the go to around here.

Solid plan.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes