Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Open or closed radiant heat system

Options
zmann96
zmann96 Member Posts: 29
I'm getting ready to set up my 75 gal gas fire hot water heater and tie it into my manifold. The system is new. I have 5 loops of 1/2" approx 320' each. The system will have a heat exchanger. I have everything to set this up as an open loop with a combo back flow preventer and fill valve and a heat exchanger. Now I'm having second thoughts about the open loop as opposed to a closed. I had read that a closed loop would cause the circulator to cavitate and make noise without some pressure in the system. I would welcome your thoughts.

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Are You planning on connecting it to the same water heater that does your domestic?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Open loop -- presumably your domestic hot water will be drawn from the same piping? -- is an exceedingly poor idea. Not that a lot of people don't get away with it, but it is a dream breeding ground for almost any kind of bacteria that can make you -- or anyone visiting you -- sick. Don't do it.

Further, a domestic water heater is the wrong tool for a heating system. It's not meant for continuous duty, and it won't last long -- and its efficiency is poor.

Now it seems, though, that you mention a heat exchanger? Is the idea that the hot water heater will circulate through a heat exchanger and the other side of the exchanger will circulate through the radiant tubing? That's not an open loop. Or is it that the hot water heater will circulate through one side of the heat exchanger and the radiant heating, and domestic hot water will be on the other side of the heat exchanger? That's not likely to work as the heat exchanger may not give you enough domestic hot water.

It is quite true that a circulator -- or any pump -- will cavitate if there isn't adequate pressure on the intake side. However, any piping which is subject to a varying temperature and which has a backflow preventer must have provision for expansion (and a pressure relief valve) downstream of the backflow preventer. So what is usually done is that the radiant tubing is treated as a closed loop, with an expansion tank on it, followed by the circulator, with a fill device -- such as a backflow preventer and pressure reducing valve -- and a protective device -- the pressure relief valve -- all hooked in at more or less the same location as the expansion tank. That all runs through the boiler -- or if you insist on a water heater also serving for domestic hot water, a heat exchanger -- on out through the loops and back around to the expansion tank. Usually kept at 10 to 15 psi.

Perhaps if you cared to post a sketch I could be a bit more specific?

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Use the heat exchanger and set up the heating side with it's own Pressure reducing valve , air elimination and circ . Use only a bronze or stainless steel circ on the domestic side
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • zmann96
    Options
    Hi Rich, yes my domestic will be on one side of the heat exchanger and my radiant will be by it's self of other. I have the pressure reducing valve ( if I end up doing the filler and back flow) I have an expansion tank, spirovent, both circulators for each side of the exchanger are SS, and both mixing valves are bronze. I'm just concerned with the cavitation and noise from the circulator on the heat side. what's the pros and cons of each closed or open. I will have back flow preventers to keep the heating separate from the domestic.
  • zmann96
    Options
    Ironman said:

Are You planning on connecting it to the same water heater that does your domestic?

Yes, my domestic hot water demand is very low and I have installed a 10' length of gray water heat recovery from my shower.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Are you asking whether you should leave it completely isolated or tie it to domestic with proper backflow protection? In that case, they would both be considered closed systems.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • zmann96
    Options

Open loop -- presumably your domestic hot water will be drawn from the same piping? -- is an exceedingly poor idea. Not that a lot of people don't get away with it, but it is a dream breeding ground for almost any kind of bacteria that can make you -- or anyone visiting you -- sick. Don't do it.

Further, a domestic water heater is the wrong tool for a heating system. It's not meant for continuous duty, and it won't last long -- and its efficiency is poor.

Now it seems, though, that you mention a heat exchanger? Is the idea that the hot water heater will circulate through a heat exchanger and the other side of the exchanger will circulate through the radiant tubing? That's not an open loop. Or is it that the hot water heater will circulate through one side of the heat exchanger and the radiant heating, and domestic hot water will be on the other side of the heat exchanger? That's not likely to work as the heat exchanger may not give you enough domestic hot water.

It is quite true that a circulator -- or any pump -- will cavitate if there isn't adequate pressure on the intake side. However, any piping which is subject to a varying temperature and which has a backflow preventer must have provision for expansion (and a pressure relief valve) downstream of the backflow preventer. So what is usually done is that the radiant tubing is treated as a closed loop, with an expansion tank on it, followed by the circulator, with a fill device -- such as a backflow preventer and pressure reducing valve -- and a protective device -- the pressure relief valve -- all hooked in at more or less the same location as the expansion tank. That all runs through the boiler -- or if you insist on a water heater also serving for domestic hot water, a heat exchanger -- on out through the loops and back around to the expansion tank. Usually kept at 10 to 15 psi.

Perhaps if you cared to post a sketch I could be a bit more specific?

I've attached my plan. I'm not concerned about flow going back into the feed. that's the only way it could be mixed.
  • zmann96
    Options
    Zman said:

Are you asking whether you should leave it completely isolated or tie it to domestic with proper backflow protection? In that case, they would both be considered closed systems.

Zman, I'm asking if I should use the filler and back flow preventer or just let it be completely isolated which I thought would be closed loop without any flow in.
  • Zman
    Options
    With proper backflow protection it won't ghost. I would get rid of both the circ check and the one on the cold side of the mixing valve. They serve no function and may isolate the circ from the expansion tank.
    Albert Einstein
    zmann96Rich_49
  • zmann96
    Options
    Thanks Zman
  • zmann96
    Options
    zmann96 said:

Thanks Zman

Would you keep the cold water feed?
  • Zman
    Options
    What type of system? Are you concerned about leaks? It can be a pain to keep the system topped off if you don't either tie it in or use an auto feeder.
    Albert Einstein
  • zmann96
    Options
    Zman said:

What type of system? Are you concerned about leaks? It can be a pain to keep the system topped off if you don't either tie it in or use an auto feeder.

No, not concerned with leaks, and I don't want a maintenance issue so I guess I'll tie it in with auto feed and backflow preventer. Thanks so much
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    so Thai the tank provides domestic hot water?  If so separate the hydronic side, Heat Link and Utica Boiler make heat exchanger modules for water heaters used like thus

Doesbthe heater have adequate BTU capacity?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • zmann96
    Options
    hot_rod said:

so Thai the tank provides domestic hot water?  If so separate the hydronic side, Heat Link and Utica Boiler make heat exchanger modules for water heaters used like thus

Doesbthe heater have adequate BTU capacity?

Yes, I have adequate BTUs per hour for my use and I've sized my heat exchange also.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    For reference. Most circulator type pumps, such as you will be using, will not cavitate, assuming they have a few diameters of straight pipe at the intake, if the intake pressure can be maintained at at least 17 to 18 psi absolute, which would be around 3 psi gauge in your appliaction.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    zmann96