Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

T87 NOS

GW
GW Member Posts: 4,579
Taking bids, hit me if you really need an old mercury😀
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
[email protected]
dave1234

Comments

• PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 836
    Nice.  Where did you run across those?
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,016
    known to beat dead horses
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 19,954
    !!!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • GW
    PC they have been sitting on my shelf for 20 years or so
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    [email protected]
    PC7060kcopp
  • PC7060
    edited November 2021
    Classic NOS with a Hazmat twist!

I’ve got a couple units I pulled when I update the boiler and HVAC Systems. Not new but still worked fine after 40 years. 
  • GW
    PC, I’ve got a couple hundred sitting in a plastic tote. Those are considered new though, lol
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    [email protected]
    PC7060
  • PC7060
    So what’s the limitations on reselling?  Disclosure not the let kids play with em?  I have to say as kids we pretty routinely plays with mercury whenever we could find it. I think we were protected by all the lead paint that had gotten in our system first!
    mel57Rich_49
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 6,655
    seems like shipping could be an issue
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 658
    The mercury inside the hermetically sealer bulb in a typical T87F thermostat will oxidize after a period of time rendering the thermostat useless. I do not know their life expectancy but they do normally last a long, long time.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 13,555

The mercury inside the hermetically sealer bulb in a typical T87F thermostat will oxidize after a period of time rendering the thermostat useless. I do not know their life expectancy but they do normally last a long, long time.

I always assumed mercury switches were vacuumed out or filled with an inert gas along with the mercury?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    PC7060
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 4,764
    Unless the mercury interacts with something else that can break it down, its forever.
    Some supply houses have bins to collect mercury thermostats so they can be properly disposed of. That's the best place for them IMO.
    Besides, now we have the Nest.🤮

Rich_49
  • Jamie Hall
    No surpsise -- Gary's sending me one. The mercury switch should be forever, for all practical purposes -- they were vacuumed out and refilled with nitrogen, so unless the little bulb gets cracked... and oxidation of the terminals isn't a problem, as mercury aggressively wets them every time they operate. What does fail sometimes is the wire connections outside the bulb, from fatigue, or rarely the anticipator can burn out.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • GW
    Jamie If you were me, dragging many thousands of dollars out of homeowners pockets, would you leave a T 87 on the wall? A pro and a con everything I guess.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    [email protected]
    PC7060
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 3,334
    Depending on the situation, I would advise the client that its proven and has an extremely low failure rate. If they want to change it fine, if not better.
    GW
  • Jamie Hall
    GW said:

Jamie If you were me, dragging many thousands of dollars out of homeowners pockets, would you leave a T 87 on the wall? A pro and a con everything I guess.

Depends on whether they want programming or remote sensing or control -- or might. If they do, out the T87 goes. I suspect that in many if not most situations I would pull brand new 5 or 6 wire thermostat wire and at least hook it up at the boiler end so that they really did have a common at the thermostat, so that when Joe Sixpack decides to put in a Nest or something they can hook it up... !
    Br. Jamie, osb
    GW