Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

FLIR one Gen 3

Options
Has anyone tried one of these on a smart phone yet.
They are only 2 Franklins on Amazon-pretty cheap!—NBC

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    I can't tell you about the gen 3 specifically, but I have the USB-C model from several years back. It works nice, although I have to take the Otter Box case off my current phone to use it (even with the adjustable port extended all the way out). The visible & IR images are merged nicely & they do some kind of edge highlighting to help you figure out what you're looking at. If you look at the images in the app, you can swipe the IR overlay up to see just the visible portion, too. The battery doesn't seem to hold a charge on standby very well, but that could be my fault—it often lives in my van, which means it's below freezing more than it should during the winter. I just try to remember to get it on the charger an hour before I want to use it.

I take that back, the current version of the app doesn't allow you to roll the IR image up, you have to touch a button to select 'IR' or 'DC'. I wonder why they got rid of that, it worked well and was pretty useful.

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    That model does not have very good resolution, and the battery life is very short.
    I do quite a bit of leak detection, radiant tube locating and exterior thermal envelope work. I find that even with a full charge, I need to stop and recharge the Flir One after 45 minutes or so.
    I would recommend going with the C5. It has 4x the resolution and plenty of battery life
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    kcopp
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    NBC, some years ago I got the FLIR TG165 for about $350.
    It was the basic entry FLIR viewer.

It is a stand alone tool.

I can see the heating loops in concrete floors.
    See the steam in a CI rad from across the room.
    Also see the residual heat from where the dog was lying on ceramic tile 5 minutes earlier.
    See which ceiling diffusers are heating and which are on a different system.
    Good enough to see which steam traps that have failed.
    You can see where the steam may have stopped moving because of air.
    Look for overheating fixture ballasts from standing on the floor.

USB charging cord. Although I don't use it a lot, the batteries have never died on the job.

I see the newer generation is about $400.
    Johnstone Supply has them. They would probably let you try one at the counter.

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    I have several Flir cameras and I'll tell you there's no way to do thermal imaging well cheaply. I spent $3K on an i7 years ago and more recently a few of the $200-$300 iPhone connection versions to give to my guys or carry in my truck daily. The cheap ones are way better than nothing but the image always leaves you wanting more detail. I wish I had the pockets to drop $6K on a camera with a wider lens, video, and better resolution, but I don't. Thermal imaging is one of things that, once you use it and see what it can do, you want all it has to offer and you certainly can't go backward from what you're used to using.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    I agree with JohnNY, if my little gadget would quit or be lost, I would get the next version or 2 better. Even being "nearly" retired.

These are so much handier than the laser temp guns.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
  • ryanwc
    ryanwc Member Posts: 50
    Options
    You do get free shipping for spending more than $99, though.
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    Options
    Just ordered a Flir Pro LT for a little experiment I'm going to try. Currently its the same price as the gen 3. Same specs but with the same app capabilities as the pro. Amazon says it can have it to my door by sunday evening.

I won't get to play... test it until Monday night. :(
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,457
    Options
    I have the Seek thermal for my I-phone. I managed to buy it at the promo price of 180 when it first came out, and so far have been pleased with it for what it can do. It is not an accurate read at all, but it can see tubes in floor and give me an idea which tubes are getting hot and which don't. I wish I could afford one of the more expensive ones, but only because I just want to play with it, which I guess is still a good reason to get one.
    My ultimate camera will be one where I can see gases. Many times I have tried to find he source of some kind of smell, and not been able to locate it. I can imagine a camera where if I had a sewer leak, a propane or natural gas leak, a dead animal, or even a cat that doesn't use the cat box, then I could use it to locate it. Unfortunately, I am not that inventor.
    Rick
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,293
    Options
    Hi @rick in Alaska , Confucius said:“The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their proper name.” Even if you're not that inventor, you have identified an interesting problem... how to "see" odors. We can now see methane leaks, so coming up with the technology to see other gasses/odors likely isn't that far in the future. I'd bet the market for seeing and pinpointing odors is huge, so there could be motivation for developing the technology.

Yours, Larry