Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

BTU Load Sizing for Boiler versus Forced Air

Options
13»

Comments

• Mike_Breault
    Mike_Breault Member Posts: 35
    Options
    while you have a complete heat loss, you will need a room by room done. (there is software to do this if you want), to determine how much baseboard you will need.

you also need to know how you are piping it, and controlling it.

are you doing zoning? room by room control, or all one zone, these are all factors in the design.

as many have said there is no difference in how the btu was produced
    how big is your house? I havea 2 story, about 2700sq ft. my old 95% faf was 100k, I converted to water system, but I replaced the furnace with a hydro coil as step 1, the coil was 80k @180 water, (heat loss done, knew furnace was to big), I havent broken 135°F water in 2 years, meaning even 80k too big.

decide if you are doing DHW, my boiler is sized for that eventuality as it is actually the biggest load, I am doing a timed priority (most good control (tekmar - self promotion, full disclosure I work there) so I do not need the boiler to heat while the system is doing DHW,

good luck

Mike
    Crissie
  • Crissie
    Crissie Member Posts: 132
    Options

while you have a complete heat loss, you will need a room by room done. (there is software to do this if you want), to determine how much baseboard you will need.

you also need to know how you are piping it, and controlling it.

are you doing zoning? room by room control, or all one zone, these are all factors in the design.

as many have said there is no difference in how the btu was produced
    how big is your house? I havea 2 story, about 2700sq ft. my old 95% faf was 100k, I converted to water system, but I replaced the furnace with a hydro coil as step 1, the coil was 80k @180 water, (heat loss done, knew furnace was to big), I havent broken 135°F water in 2 years, meaning even 80k too big.

decide if you are doing DHW, my boiler is sized for that eventuality as it is actually the biggest load, I am doing a timed priority (most good control (tekmar - self promotion, full disclosure I work there) so I do not need the boiler to heat while the system is doing DHW,

good luck

Mike

I did a room by room heat loss using the Slant Fin app. I have been told by several guys on this forum that I don't need extra BTU's for hot water, if I ever choose to go that route. Correct or not?
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    You are correct and so is Mike. His DHW load is bigger than his heating load, so he's sizing for the DHW load. That is usually, but not always, the exception.
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Those PTAC are notorious for leaking cold air in!

One thought would be to have a blower door test done, see where any or all air leakage is. Infiltration is a huge energy robber, and a hard number to pin down without testing.

www.dsireusa.org shows where they may be some energy upgrade incentives available, maybe even a blower door test..
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Crissie
  • Crissie
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I did a blower door test in July. House is very tight, 25% tighter than code for new construction. Take 5.13 hrs for one full air exchange. We walked around with an thermal camera and the PTAC did not jump out. If... the blower door test was done correctly. You never know these days.

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,864
    Options
    Crissie said:

I did a blower door test in July. House is very tight, 25% tighter than code for new construction. Take 5.13 hrs for one full air exchange. We walked around with an thermal camera and the PTAC did not jump out. If... the blower door test was done correctly. You never know these days.

With that please get a whole house dehumidifier hooked to outside air.
    Crissie
  • Crissie
    edited October 2021
    Options
    @EBEBRATT-Ed @KC_Jones @Hot_water_fan @hot_rod @Jamie Hall @neilc @ratio and everyone who commented on this post.
    Just to update you all, if you are interested. I had an independent professional Manual J done for each room in my house. The heating load is 73K BTU's of which 6K is for a constant ERV ventilation system bringing in 250 CFM. So without the ventilation, it is 67K BTU's. That is a far cry from the 175K BTU boiler my contractor sized for me.
    I can't thank all of you enough for saving me from the nightmare that would have unfolded if they installed this 175K boiler in my home. You gave me an education and an incredible amount of support. Saved my life!!
    I told this contractor I was revisiting the size load on my house. Without my asking, they came back with an email sizing my house again and recommended the 130K BTU version of the boiler, one level down from the 175K. Here are the credentials of this point who did this 130K BTU sizing. This gives you a feel for the #@*# I am dealing with. It is dangerous being a consumer these days.

Service Operations Manager
    LEED Certified HVAC
    D.E.T Certified Multi family verifier ID #
    B.S Mechanical Engineering
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options

Service Operations Manager
    LEED Certified HVAC
    D.E.T Certified Multi family verifier ID #
    B.S Mechanical Engineering

I just love guys with letters after their names . Fact is , most of em are not very good even with the education . Ask me , and others here how we know .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    Crissie
  • Crissie
    Options
    Rich_49 said:

I just love guys with letters after their names . Fact is , most of em are not very good even with the education . Ask me , and others here how we know .

Okay, how do you know? :smiley:

• sunlight33
    sunlight33 Member Posts: 378
    Options
    The reason is most average consumers will not be bothered by short cycling, but they will be by inadequate heat, so contractors err on the high side.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,336
    Options

The reason is most average consumers will not be bothered by short cycling, but they will be by inadequate heat, so contractors err on the high side.

Oh so true... !

And Rich, how about Jamie, OSB, PE, PhD?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    Options

Oh so true... !

And Rich, how about Jamie, OSB, PE, PhD?
    If you earned the PhD I say go for it. Otherwise, no.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    I earned it, @ChrisJ -- just not in engineering. In climate physics/global thermodynamics, to be exact. Before climate change was a popular thing...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    Options

I earned it, @ChrisJ -- just not in engineering. In climate physics/global thermodynamics, to be exact. Before climate change was a popular thing...

What's OSB besides a product used for sheathing?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

What's OSB besides a product used for sheathing?
    Order of Saint Benedict -- or Benedictine in common terms.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    Options
    @sunlight33

How true
    Canucker
  • Crissie
    Options

@Crissie

I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up in the 60-70K range

What you really need is a contractor that knows what he is doing. Yours don't sound like top shelf to me.

Check "find a contractor" on this site and post your location. Someone may have a recommendation .

A contractor is the most important decision

As an FYI, I did reach out to a couple of contractors from the 'Find a Contractor' on this site. They are no better.
  • BobZmuda
    BobZmuda Member Posts: 23
    Options
    The third contractor may have the right idea. Not enough info though. After not reading 3 pages of posts I'll interject my opinion :)

The important thing: How low can the boiler fire? How small is your smallest zone?

Also, why not use some runtal style radiators? Radiant heat is best heat IMO.
    Rich_49
  • mzstein
    mzstein Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I know this is an old post , but doing some research on boilers vs forced air. When looking at boilers they list several different BTU ratings - input, output and net output . So when someone says they have an 80000 btu boiler is that input ? Just making sure I am comparing apples to apples and not getting mixed up in the description.
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    mzstein said:
    I know this is an old post , but doing some research on boilers vs forced air. When looking at boilers they list several different BTU ratings - input, output and net output . So when someone says they have an 80000 btu boiler is that input ? Just making sure I am comparing apples to apples and not getting mixed up in the description.
    Usually input