Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No job too small!

Options
DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,530
I had an interesting experience with a concrete guy recently. He advertises every week in our local Penny Saver. His lead is NO JOB TOO SMALL! One section of our sidewalk is busted so I called the guy and left a message as to what I needed. He never called back. I guess my job was too small.

Have you ever put those words in an ad for your business? And if so, did you really mean it?
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options

I had an interesting experience with a concrete guy recently. He advertises every week in our local Penny Saver. His lead is NO JOB TOO SMALL! One section of our sidewalk is busted so I called the guy and left a message as to what I needed. He never called back. I guess my job was too small.

Have you ever put those words in an ad for your business? And if so, did you really mean it?

He could just be swamped right now, or maybe heard the message and forgot to call back.
    Or, maybe he really is full of beans.

I had setup an appointment with a chimney company back in 2011 and they said over and over in their hold music "Unlike our competitors we show up!" The Irony was, I was calling because I took time off and they kept delaying the appointment over and over and making different excuses until I gave up around 6 PM. The original time was something like 8AM. I called another small local place who actually showed up last minute at like 7PM.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    They probably don’t listen to their on-hold message. The concrete guy’s message instructed me to say my phone number three times and very slowly. I did as told. No message too small!
    Retired and loving it.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    'No Job Too Small' is right up there with 'Large enough to serve you, small enough to care.'

Besides the standard free yellow pages blurb, I've never advertised, nor ever had to advertise.

I think in general, contractors like that seem to be all the same. When it's slow, they'll take anything, when they're busy, they take what's most profitable.
    A local realtor may have a good reference for you. Repairing a few blocks is a pretty standard request for property that pops up right before settlement and requires quick action. There are companies who do this all day-set up a dozen repairs in a small geographic area, and bang them all out at once.

OTOH, it has been brutally hot and most outdoor workers come home pretty wiped out and cranky...lol
    Still, it takes a minute to return a call.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Ironman
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Good advice, Steve. Thanks. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,672
    Options
    As a side note, Quckcrete Crack Resistant Concrete uses an air entraining cement if you want to mix something out of a bag that is suitable for outdoor use in a climate that freezes.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Thanks. Good to know, but at this age, I prefer not to get on my knees. 
    Retired and loving it.
    mattmia2
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    It's tough to get anyone to do anything
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 907
    Options
    The company I worked for in Pittsburgh, Pa always told those customers that just had to have service that we would get to them in less than 24 hours "GUARANTEED". Hospitals were one of those customers. As far as "no job is too small", many of those jobs became new customers or in many cases a new boiler or whole system. As far as advertising, they did not need to advertise, even though they charged the highest per hour that included travel both ways, the job was done right the first time or subsequent visits for the same problem was FREE. I got in my truck before 6:00AM and got home whenever. My wife never prepared dinner at a set time since there was never a set quit time. One last thing, our service area was almost anywhere that the customer would agree to the charge rate which may include overnight stays. Even Philadelphia was not too far to travel.
    PC7060
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,584
    Options
    When I retire, if I retire, I plan on joining the gig community and take on jobs too small for companies.
    I think Task Rabbit is the new penny saver.
  • JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    Options
    I've been dealing with this all summer. I was trying to get a perc test done on some acreage I was interested in. Out of the half dozen people I called the only response I ever got was a text message saying "no". I had left a voicemail asking if they do perc tests. I ended up walking away from the property. Same deal with getting estimates for work around the house. Maybe we need a new book titled "The lost art of Professionalism".
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    I always liked ..."open 23.5hrs." We doze but never close.
    SlamDunk
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,262
    Options
    Some jobs are too small. Even if customer willingly pays he can reset his own breaker.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited September 2021
    Options
    Old joke...
    Sign on dry cleaners "24 Hour Service".
    Man walks in Monday morning when the dry cleaner first opens, wants to get his suit dry cleaned.
    Owner: "Thanks for your business, it will be ready Wednesday at closing.
    Customer: "But your sign says "24 Hour Service".
    Owner: "Yes, but we're only open 8 hours a day".

I didn't say it was a good joke...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,708
    Options

Old joke...
    Sign on dry cleaners "24 Hour Service".
    Man walks in Monday morning when the dry cleaner first opens, wants to get his suit dry cleaned.
    Owner: "Thanks for your business, it will be ready Wednesday at closing.
    Customer: "But your sign says "24 Hour Service".
    Owner: "Yes, but we're only open 8 hours a day".

I didn't say it was a good joke...

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Perfect 
    Retired and loving it.
  • Robert_25
    Robert_25 Member Posts: 527
    Options

Thanks. Good to know, but at this age, I prefer not to get on my knees. 

If you change your mind, read the bag close so you don't get sand by mistake. Yes...I read that article. :D
    Erin Holohan HaskellSTEVEusaPAmattmia2
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    No worries about that! LOL!
    Retired and loving it.