Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fake Electrician

Jpserra9
Jpserra9 Member Posts: 1
So I bought a new home and my wife and I wanted to install our TV on top of the fireplace mantle. The issue we didn’t have a power outlet, only the gas fireplace switch. We called an electrical someone recommended, and he installed a switch/outlet combo. After this the fireplace stopped working. I believe he fried the millivolt system when he connected to same 110v ac. Any ideas how I could possibly remedy this if at all possible?! 

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    Get the electrician to honor his warranty on the work performed. Or was he not licensed?

most of those combination switches have a metal tab attaching the screw terminals on the Hot (brass screw) side of the switch. the other side has a silver screw for the outlet and a brass screw for the load side of the switch. If the jumper was removed, then it is very possible that 120V was delivered to the millivolt gas valve.

To fix this you need to replace the gas valve and the pilot generator (powerpile) and any low voltage wires that may have been overloaded. This repair may cost as much as a replacement gas fireplace insert. I recommend that you use a separate switch box and a separate outlet box. This way that mistake won't happen again
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,576
    I'm pretty sure the code will require separate boxes or a partition between the low energy and line voltage. There are some exceptions to this rule but they require the low energy wiring to be associated with the device that the line voltage wiring powers.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    If he added the 120 volt outlet to the switch box by changing it to a combo then the 120 volt and the milli volt already existed in the box which it shouldn't have

I am doubtful the milli volt is in that box.

Probably a coincidence
    ethicalpaul
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    As I recollect, a fireplace millivolt sys runs the gas valve off a powerpile which needs a pilot flame. Do you have a pilot flame? Is the gas valve open? Many gas fireplaces have 110V for an optional fan. Does your fireplace have a spark ignition sys?

I don't quite understand your description of what was done, forgive me.
    CBRob
  • CBRob
    CBRob Member Posts: 273
    As I recollect, a fireplace millivolt sys runs the gas valve off a powerpile which needs a pilot flame. Do you have a pilot flame? Is the gas valve open? Many gas fireplaces have 110V for an optional fan. Does your fireplace have a spark ignition sys? I don't quite understand your description of what was done, forgive me.

That is what I was thinking too.
    If it was just the millivolt switch there wouldn't be 110v in box.

Possibly a fan switch.

Can't imagine even a handyman wiring 18g wire along with 14g from the outlet
  • Lance
    Lance Member Posts: 265
    First do no harm and verify what works before and after the work is done. Right or wrong, deliberate or accidental all must be right before leaving the job.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    You have to hire an electrician.
    After 1year !
    ZmanSTEVEusaPA