Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

difference between hepa filter and air purifier

Options
Planing to buy an air purifier for my kid, what is the difference between hepa and air purifier?
stay home stay safe!
maniq

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    A HEPA filter has a very specific set of criteria for capturing and removing particulate material from the air. A decent, readable definition it here:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HEPA. They do not remove fumes or gasses or smoke.

An air purifier, on the other hand, may or may not filter particulates out. There is, to my knowledge, any specification for calling a device an "air purifier". Most of the ones I have seen on the market are certainly not HEPA, and make various claims as to what they do or do not do.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options
    Why waste money on a air purifier, just open a window and bring in outside air!

Every room should have a complete air change every 4 - 6 hours anyway.
    maniqSuperTechMad Dog_2
  • LS123
    LS123 Member Posts: 466
    Options
    hi, my kids used to be allergic to pet dandruff, dust, many types of pollen etc... so keeping the windows open was not something they were able to enjoy, especially at night... if I am not mistaken pollen count tend to be higher toward the night. Plus kids used to live in Fairfield county, i-95 road construction would leave one lane and back up traffic, especially 18 wheeler backed up for miles, evcen if ypou live few miles away, time to time we could smell the air of exhaust.

We had bought air cleaners with Hepa filter, which had, very fine filter, then charcoal filter, something to do with electricity to capture some form of something (I cant remember)... it makes a difference to have good air cleaner with good filtering systems... as kids start growing up, they grew out of allergies to most listed above.

Sorry, I can not remember all or names of it. they were little over $400. kept few around especially in their bed rooms.

try this search on google "air cleaners for asthma sufferers"
    Thank you!
    @LS123
    maniq
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,583
    edited September 2023
    Options
    A High Efficiency Particulate Air filter filters out 99.97+% of all particulate in air stream. That is defined. An air purifier's definition is open ended. It can filter out ten percent of particulate and still be considered an air purifier.