Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Pump/Mini Split vs Space Heater

Options
AlwaysCold
AlwaysCold Member Posts: 1
I recently moved into an apartment in Massachusetts already occupied by two other people. They heat the apartment using an old natural gas furnace and it's too cold for me to tolerate. The landlord has installed this ductless mini-split system: https://www.daikinac.com/content/assets/DOC/SubmittalDataSheets/Single-Split/FTXS09LVJU-RXS09LVJU%20Submittal%20Sheet.pdf but they don't use it because it's apparently too expensive.

I can't deal with the cold, and I'm willing to pay the offset to use electric heat (my lease is up next March and I'm moving out of state then, but until then I'm stuck here), so I was wondering what the best way to heat the house is.

The weather gets very cold (central Massachusetts, it apparently went down to -1F at one point during the winter), and there's a stretch of a month or two where it's entirely possible the temperature won't rise above 30F for weeks.

I need a temperature of 68F while I'm at home to be comfortable (wearing thick socks and two layers). The natural gas only heats the house to about 55-60F depending on how cold it is outside.

I am only at home intermittently, one hour at lunch and then 6-8 hours before I go to bed, and while I'm in bed I don't mind the cold.

The apartment is old and drafty with terrible insulation. My room is about 200sqft, and the apartment is about 1000sqft total

Given all of these factors, would a space heater or the ductless mini-split be cheaper to use October-March?

Comments

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    55-60?? Is that by choice?
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    Daveydigz
  • AlwaysCold
    Options
    @ethicalpaul the furnace will heat the house to about 60 but my roommates usually keep it at 55 and don't seem to feel the cold (like, walk around in t-shirts while I'm shivering under covers)
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,306
    Options
    Hi, Two things come to mind. It may sound flip, but an electric vest might be a good solution. Also, is it legal to rent an apartment without adequate heat? I have doubts, but then it could be a struggle to get the landlord to do anything.

Yours, Larry
  • AlwaysCold
    Options
    @Larry Weingarten the problem is that there *is* a ductless mini-split system, but my roommates are extremely resistant to using it.
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 917
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Massachusetts code requires adequate heat in rental housing (68° except during sleeping hours IIRC) but it sounds like the cold indoor conditions are due to the roommates’ choice of how to operate the system. If tenants have control of the thermostat and pay the fuel bill, the landlord’s only responsibility is to provide an adequate heating system and keep it running.

The ductless mini split will be much cheaper to operate that an electric space heater if—and only if—the OP’s bedroom has its own head and its own thermostat, so that room can be heated independently without operating the rest of the ductless heads.

This assumes that the ductless system is capable of operating in heat pump mode except in extremely cold conditions. Keep that “emergency heat” switch turned off!

Bburd
    ethicalpaul
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,859
    Options
    It sounds to me like a space heater in your personal 200 Sq ft room is your only real choice. Until the electric bill for operating that space heater is realized by the other two roommates, that is your best option for comfort. I'm assuming the mini-split is only available in the main common room.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• kflory
    kflory Member Posts: 36
    Options
    They also make 120v window units that offer heat-pump heating, if you've got a window and a spare outlet in your room.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L4RLMNM/
  • veteransteamhvac
    veteransteamhvac Member Posts: 73
    Options
    The only thing that doesn't make any sense to me is the statement: "they don't use it because it's too expensive." The mini split certainly isn't that efficient in heat pump mode, but come on. It's as much or more efficient than basically any other single room heating/cooling device. Why reinvent the wheel>? It's ludicrous for them to think the mini split is responsible for high heat/cooling bills.
    ethicalpaul
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Since you are only going to be there for a while, an electric space heater -- get a milk room heater such as this https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/redstone-multi-purpose-fan-forced-heater?cm_vc=-10005 -- will do just what you want. You can spend a lot more for a fancy one, but a watt is a watt and that one works just fine.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Daveydigz
    Daveydigz Member Posts: 1
    Options

The mini split is okay for heat, but isnt very helpful in temps below heating. I have a small studio apartment and i have an mini split. It works very well, and doesnt kill me on the electric bill, but when it sustained cold below freezing i use an oil filled space heater for lower cost and even heat without drafts

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options

these are nice for space heating, quiet and safe. This has a 600W low setting. I think you can find even lower wattage models.

I like @Larry Weingarten idea. You can get electric vests, socks, gloves, etc.

I used electric vests when riding motorcycles in the winter. Keeping your chest and heart warm tends to keep the rest of your body warm. Get a Milwaukee brand and the batteries work in your cordless tools.🤓

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,306
    edited March 2023
    Options

Now that's fun Thanks hot_rod ! I had no idea Milwaukee made a heated vest. Here's a link: 271-20

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,861
    Options

The average Mini Split heat pump is more efficient then that oil filled heater.

• JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    Options

This isn't even really a heating issue, this is an ***h*** problem. If you are paying your fair share you have the right not to be freezing and 50f is most definitely too cold for most people.

If that was my situation someone would have to be making an appointment with a proctologist to have my boot surgically removed.

Pick up a space heater at Walmart and keep your room toasty. BUT make sure the outlet is in good condition, and that the plug is nice n' snug in that outlet, keep it away from anything combustible and do not allow anything to go over top of the cord. I personally hate space heaters but these a**** aren't giving you much choice at 50f.

I've lived with temperatures that cold before, not by choice either when the firewood was gone and we couldn't afford propane. It is miserable.