Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Terminology or Actual Difference

josephny
josephny Member Posts: 270

Wondering if there is a difference between "manifold" and "multi-port tee?"

I see that both manifolds and multi-port tees can be open on both sides or closed on one side.

I see mention of code allowing multi-port tees to be inaccessible after being built (i.e., no access panel needed). Not sure about manifolds.

Thank you.

Comments

• josephny
    Hmmm....

Is my question too basic? Or off-the-mark in some way?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,804
    That is a really good question, when a tee becomes a manifold? At times it had to do with the type of connections.A union for example, a mechanical connection, compared to a coupling.
    Then there is accessible and readily accessible. Accessible allows a door or cover, I think.  Might look for a current code interpretation guidebook.
    Often it comes down to what the inspector that shows up will accept😉
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    josephny
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,441
    The code requires accessibility when there’s a mechanical joint like a union or compression fitting. In other words, one that can be taken apart with wrenches. Screw joints, press fittings, soldered joints, glue joints, heat fusion, etc. don’t require accessibility.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    josephny
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,747
    I would think valves, especially balancing valves, would turn a multi-port tee into a manifold. But, I'm just a warshed up electrician, so take that with a grain of salt.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 8,556
    ratio said:

I would think valves, especially balancing valves, would turn a multi-port tee into a manifold. But, I'm just a warshed up electrician, so take that with a grain of salt.

If you use water to "Warsh-Up" I think that Qualifies.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• josephny
    Thank you guys! I suppose it's safe to to use the term multi-port-tee when it's a permanent/seal and never meant to be accessed or changed (unless it breaks), and use manifold otherwise.