Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vents for convectors

garimh
garimh Member Posts: 13
edited December 2020 in Strictly Steam
We recently replaced our 37 year old boiler and I'm now trying to balance the system. We have convectors throughout that require 1/8" straight vents. Previously, the convectors all had Vari-Valves when we moved in but they were consistently getting clogged, would hiss, etc. so last season, I replaced a few bad ones with Gorton #6s and have not been happy with those either. One is now leaking and a second is make a fluttering or chirping type noise even when the heat is off so I'm not sure what's happening there.

Last week, I bought two Hoffman 41s which are listed as being made for convectors. They are quiet and heat up nicely but definitely much slower than the rest of the radiators in the house (which are still a mix of Vari-Valves and Gortons. I'd say the Hoffmans take an additional 20-30 minutes to get warm.

I think I'm OK with main venting. On previous system we had one Big Mouth but contractor suggested we would benefit from a second so have added that.

So here are my questions:

Are vents made for convectors any different than radiator vents apart from the straight vs angled fitting?

Could I simply use Hoffman 41s throughout my entire house? I see that other Hoffmans are adjustable but those are are angled and it looks like the non-adjustable 41 is the only 1/8" straight Hoffman available. There is a Hoffman 41b straight but it's 1/4", not 1/8" and is considerably more expensive than the the 41 if I'm planning to replace for 10 convectors.

Supply House also sells 1/8" straight 508s but from what I read, they aren't very good. Is that true?

If I can't use Hoffman 41s throughout, what would you recommend?

Any advice would be appreciated! I can supply photos, measurements, etc. if that helps. Thank you.

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    I usually use gorton straights on convectors . There non adjustable so you will need to buy a few different sizes to balance it . Take a look at there sizing chart and if most of your convectors are relatively the same size then it just a matter of pipe distance from main . I might also suggest to make sure your convectors are pitched to your supply valve and possible add a nipple and coupling to raise the vents height a little bit . Also to ensure a longer life span be sure your pressuretroll or vaporstat are working properly so not to expose them to high pressure the installation of a good low pressure gauge aside from the required and usually installed gauge is a great and cheap tool for ensure proper operation of your pressuretroll. The varivents are always a issue for me especially when trying to balance a system so when I run into them I remove and replace w gortons the varivents some times don’t seem to either shut off or adjust to a small enough vent rate and usually seem to over heat the space and some just spit water . Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • garimh
    Thank very much Clammy. Would it make sense for me to buy 90 degree elbows for my convectors so I can use adjustable Hoffman 1A's? If so, would I use galvinized elbows?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    garimh said:

Thank very much Clammy. Would it make sense for me to buy 90 degree elbows for my convectors so I can use adjustable Hoffman 1A's? If so, would I use galvinized elbows?

Use brass if you can get them.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    or Stainless Steel
  • garimh
    Thanks. Supply House sells these but that hole on the male end looks quite small. Would that be a problem? I'm assuming it might slow thing down but have read that mains should be vented quickly and radiators slowly so assuming that's fine.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    It's fine
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    If I was using a 90 style vent like a Hoffmann 1a then yes on a 90 but usually on convectors I use straight style vents .
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating