Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wifi temperature sensors

Options
jlukas861
jlukas861 Member Posts: 3
edited December 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Looking for recommendations/experiences with wifi temperature sensors. Looking to monitor room/house temperature while out of state from home. 

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    jlukas861 said:

Looking for recommendations/experiences with wife temperature sensors. Looking to monitor room/house temperature while out of state from home. 

If you find a good "wife" temperature sensor you will make millions. :D

For room temp sensors, you can either use a wifi t-stat or a smart home controller with room temp sensors. MiCasa Verde make a simple Z-wave system that works well.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    kcoppSTEVEusaPA
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    Most of the wi-fi thermostats have some sort of remote access feature. Ecobee is a good one...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,627
    Options
    The Honeywell 8000 or 9000 series are also an option, both will take a number of wireless indoor sensors. They can also operate with an equipment interface module that will gain you three or four sets of dry inputs that can be assigned names. You will, of course, be dependent on the internets working, as well as Honeywell's server.
  • jlukas861
    Options
    Most of the wi-fi thermostats have some sort of remote access feature. Ecobee is a good one...
    Is this something that would require a common wire to the thermostat base?
  • ratio
    Options
    Almost certainly. WiFi radios are power hogs when they xmit.

A Nest may work in power-stealing mode, but there's a whole lot of not-working posts here.

Canucker
  • jlukas861
    Options
    ratio said:
    Almost certainly. WiFi radios are power hogs when they xmit.

A Nest may work in power-stealing mode, but there's a whole lot of not-working posts here.

Good to know.  I was looking for something that would just monitor room temperature an notify of a low temperature situation. For a friend of mine not so good with change. Just recently retired an looking to snowbird in Florida. Has a house here in Maine he wants to avoid freezing up. Has a son close by, but can't check the house every day 
  • Todd_33
    Todd_33 Member Posts: 62
    edited November 2021
    Options
    TEMPSTICK works really well and is reliable. But at $139 each it's a bit expensive for my 20 units. I'm looking for a cheaper solution,,,
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,662
    Options
    You just need a generic remote alarm device that will alarm on a contact closure or opening and a fixed temp thermostat.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,700
    Options
    A Honeywell Prestige uses an EIM (box with all of the connections) that can mount next to or even on the equipment in the basement, closet etc and then it connects to the thermostat head using only 2 wires.

These can use multiple wireless Redlink sensors, as well as what Honeywell calls their Internet Gateway which allows you to access it remotely via a phone app or their website.

You can also use dry contact sensors to detect things like a flood using a wet switch and send you an email alert.

It's pricey, but it also does a lot and it's very reliable. It would also do exactly what you want and it can even be setup to send you an email if the temperature drops below whatever you tell it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    ratio
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Been here before... all these remote widgets are wonderful... but... if they tell you that something's gone wrong, they're not much use without boots on the ground.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,700
    Options

Been here before... all these remote widgets are wonderful... but... if they tell you that something's gone wrong, they're not much use without boots on the ground.

So you feel no sensors and not knowing anything is better? @Jamie Hall I'm confused by that comment?

Often with heat, knowing something isn't right would still give plenty of travel time before the building got down to freezing temperatures.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ratio
    Options
    I think what Brother Jamie is getting at is that a WiFi stat (of any flavor) is the temperature-monitoring equivalent of JUGHNE's sidearm water heater here. It does what it's supposed to do, but…

Not everyone understands the subtle (& not so subtle!) implications of using it, and place more trust in it than is strictly warranted.

• Jamie Hall
    Options
    No, I think remote sensors are fine. I have no problem with them. However, what I am saying is that if you are on a beach somewhere, enjoying life, and there's a problem up north in Maine... or wherever... all the sensors in the world aren't going to do you a bit of good unless there's someone up there who can and will get out at Oh Dark Hundred and attend to the problem -- and you need to have that person lined up well ahead of time.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 432
    Options
    Try a SimpliSafe basic home alarm system, about $130.00, no monthly contract needed. You can add temperature sensors for about $30.00 each and if you have WiFi in the house they will send a low temp alarm or you can check them over the internet. Sorry if I should not have included prices, but they are approximate for the equipment only, check their website. You can install them yourself very easily, and you get a basic alarm system with it. I have one and like it.