Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New commercial client with lots of Lochinvar stuff. Love it!

JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,229
I'm enjoying these Lochinvar Crest boilers and Armor water heaters. All high efficiency and condensing. Somewhat neglected. New ignitors and flame sensors all around. Replaced the neutralizer media. Pumped up the expansion tanks, and we're ready to go. It was the kind of rewarding afternoon that reminds me I like this business.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes
Turbo Daveethicalpaul

Comments

• JohnNY
    Hmm.
    Nothing.
    Maybe the title of my post should've been "Drop Header!"
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    SlamDunkSolid_Fuel_Manethicalpaulgarrettgjp
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    I almost wrote something about no isolation valves at any of the pretty equipment
    known to beat dead horses
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    I sensed your enthusiasm in your post @JohnNY but I'm not a pro so I didn't know what to ask about the job. If you don't mind typing, I'd love to hear what you liked about it
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
    MaxMercy
  • The Steam Whisperer
    The Steam Whisperer Member Posts: 1,215
    I am glad you have had good experience with Lochinvar. Mine has been just the opposite. I have seen them make claims about thier equipment which are simply untrue and the factory rep in Northern Illinois has little knowledge. However, its been quite a while since I installed any of thier equipment.... Probably about 20 years. Since I do mostly steam now, I no longer have much opportunity to install hot water boilers. I install as plain Jane hot water boiler I can get most of the time, so they are almost always cast iron. I really liked the atmospheric Raypaks, very solid and no exaggerated claims to thier abilities. The Raypaks I worked on seem to have a similiar life expectanacy to the basic cast iron boilers. I had seen some that had not a single service or repair in over 20 years and still ran completely reliably.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • JohnNY

I am glad you have had good experience with Lochinvar. Mine has been just the opposite. I have seen them make claims about thier equipment which are simply untrue and the factory rep in Northern Illinois has little knowledge.

I hear you. I guess it comes down to representation. Lochinvar has good support here in NY/NJ. To your point, another boiler manufacturer based in Germany but wildly popular here is officially off my list forever and I'm shocked at the lack of support they offer to this market.
    With Lochinvar, I've learned their language and I've gotten pretty good at keeping them running. I also like their literature.
    It's like the difference between Taco vs Grundfos's unreadable literature.
    Things like that make a difference.

Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    There onboard 0-10 delta T controls for the boiler circ is probably my favorite feature.
    Tech support is awesome and they actually pick up the phone on the weekends.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    JohnNY
  • JohnNY
    Zman said:

There onboard 0-10 delta T controls for the boiler circ is probably my favorite feature.
    Tech support is awesome and they actually pick up the phone on the weekends.

I really enjoy all the pump control options but I'd like to see a fan speed limit control like Weil-McLain includes. Still, Lochinvar for the win with the full-line ConXus remote interface app.

Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    First time I've seen metal ducting used for combustion air on a mod/con. 

I've found the Lochinvar controller to be pretty intuitive as well. But we dont see many of them in my area, mostly W-M here. 

Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Turbo Dave
    Turbo Dave Member Posts: 79
    Those moments when you feel the happy hum of the equipment in return for your efforts are priceless to me too. Nice to hear.
    JohnNY
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    John, as you know I'm a lochinvar fan. On the armour's, did you find much build up inside combustion chamber? I have found them pretty bad after a year. I wish they could get the firetube for potable hot water, they are rockstars. Nice install, working on small apt bldg install today.
  • I really enjoy all the pump control options but I'd like to see a fan speed limit control like Weil-McLain includes.
    When would you want to limit fan speed?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • JohnNY
    edited December 2020
    tim smith said:

John, as you know I'm a lochinvar fan. On the armour's, did you find much build up inside combustion chamber? I have found them pretty bad after a year. I wish they could get the firetube for potable hot water, they are rockstars. Nice install, working on small apt bldg install today.

Hey. Not my install. I'm just servicing. I can't say I've noticed much buildup in the heat exchangers but on these 8-year-old units, I've had to change ignitors twice this year.

@Alan (California Radiant) Forbes when short cycling becomes an issue or any other reason the boiler seems to be working too aggressively to meet a setpoint. I'd rather not hit my auto-reset high limit in some cases. For example I've got a client who watches his boiler like a hawk and when the screen shows a soft lockout he gets nervous. Explaining it was a normal part of the DHW cycle didn't do it for him and so now I make hot water at a slower, more-controlled burn rate and I stopped getting the panicky emails.

Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Solid_Fuel_Manfenkel
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    JohnNY , appx 4 years ago you were looking to buy new combustion anlayzer with bluetooth reporting. What did you end up with and have you replaced it again since. Which one did you buy and how has maintenance been on it. We have a bone yard of appx 7 testos, We have a few UEI C155. Still not sure which I believe should be the successor? Input appreciated.
    Tim
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    edited December 2020
    I’m jealous. If I had a commercial customer like that, I could spend hours checking flows, tweaking ODR and watching condensate pour out the drain.

Instead I get a nursing home and at least salvage a 16yo NTI piped wrong with cooked medium-well exhaust because its been running with 180F return water on PVC pipe for 16 years, then flush a EGH95 and add some 8way treatment so it stops kettling. Noise was gone when I returned 3 weeks later.
    fenkel
  • dhw_probs
    dhw_probs Member Posts: 26
    @motoguy126 "running with 180F return water on PVC pipe for 16 years,"

I'm not in HVAC/Plumbing but I work at a large college. When I first started, a student housing building built 20 years earlier suddenly started having regular floods, usually mid winter. Fixed the first 2 times. After the 3rd, they realized something much more systemic was going on. Made it through the winter, shutdown the building in the Summer to tear it apart. What they found was standard PVC used for heating, so when winter hit & heating water was running > 160 F daily the fittings were failing, floods etc.

Here's the thing: The buildings/architectural folks dug back into the original plans & contract bid, and it WAS spec'ed out for copper. But the contractor use PVC instead in significant parts of the building (probably just enough copper to show off on inspections). It had been 20 years ago, and legal council couldn't find the construction company or any of the named managers etc. anywhere. Sometimes that's the price you pay when you go with the lowest bidder.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited December 2020
    Oversight on construction is a must. 

Only time I've seen PVC used for heat distribution (other than homeowner specials) was Corzan SCH80 spec'd for a low temp system in a seawater laboratory. Copper/iron didnt hold up in the saltwater lab. 

But I think @motoguy128 is speaking of PVC used as exhaust vent on his NTI boiler. 

Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • JohnNY
    edited December 2020

But I think @motoguy128 is speaking of PVC used as exhaust vent on his NTI boiler. 

Yes. PVC on high efficiency boiler exhausts was legal for a few years. Now we've got to use AL294C stainless steel or polypropylene. In some cases, we can use CPVC.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • IBC allows PVC for venting.

The vent temperature is limited with the use of a flue
    temperature sensor and software to ensure the maximum temperature of the PVC venting material is not exceeded.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I am glad you have had good experience with Lochinvar. Mine has been just the opposite. I have seen them make claims about thier equipment which are simply untrue and the factory rep in Northern Illinois has little knowledge. However, its been quite a while since I installed any of thier equipment.... Probably about 20 years. Since I do mostly steam now, I no longer have much opportunity to install hot water boilers. I install as plain Jane hot water boiler I can get most of the time, so they are almost always cast iron. I really liked the atmospheric Raypaks, very solid and no exaggerated claims to thier abilities. The Raypaks I worked on seem to have a similiar life expectanacy to the basic cast iron boilers. I had seen some that had not a single service or repair in over 20 years and still ran completely reliably.
    Lochinvar has a strong, reliable, and knowledgeable presence in Northern Illinois. I don’t how you could ask for more? When I commit to a product, I make it a point to know as much as possible before moving forward with it. 

A lot can change in twenty years. In the hydronic industry, a lot can change in two years. 
    Steve Minnich
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    I’ve replaced a ton of those Armor heat exchangers.

Overall good boilers/heaters though. Tuning the Crests are interesting.
    Never stop learning.