Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Are enzyme-based drain cleaners snake oil?

Options
Motorapido
Motorapido Member Posts: 307
Are enzyme-based drain cleaners snake oil? Are any of them scientifically tested? Seems like many of the green, sustainable, tree-hugging hippie products are bogus snake oil. Hippies like to stick it to the man. In a quest to remove any built up grease/fat accumulation in the cast iron pipes of my 100 year old house, I would like to avoid acid-formula and base-formula chemical drain cleaners. I also don't like the idea of snaking the pipes, for fear of damaging the old cast iron, so I am considering enzyme cleaners, like Green Gobbler, but I suspect it might be snake oil. Does anybody know of scientific tests that might prove the efficacy of any particular enzyme-based product?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    They use enzymes to clean up oil spills, mostly caused by non-hippies🤔
    https://news.mit.edu/2015/using-microbes-clean-oil-spills
    I’ve used and sold Bio-clean for over 30 years. Developed by a very non hippie in Wisconsin.
    Try some and do your own test. We took a cut out section of a plugged restaurant drain and day later it turned the grease and food to ash like particles.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    SuperTechethicalpaul
  • Motorapido
    Motorapido Member Posts: 307
    Options
    Good to know. I will buy some Bio-Clean. Thanks, Hot Rod.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    I think it depends somewhat on what the blockage is made up of. Roots for example may be better dealt with using a copper product.
    Or a jetter :)

I'm on a septic and I dose the tank with a shot of Bioclean occasionally.
    Been meaning to try some in our ponds to break down that sludge from decomposing leaves. We get that swamp gas smell some years.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Lye works well on grease, and seems not to harm cast iron pipes.--NBC
    ethicalpaul
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,318
    Options
    @hot_rod -- ponds are something else. You need to find something which breaks down the sludge -- but doesn't kill either the plants, if you have any, or the critters. I use various products from The Pond Guy (www.thepondguy.com). They don't exactly give them away... but they work.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,704
    Options
    I'm curious @Motorapido why are you opposed to base-based cleaners?

Also, do snakes hurt cast iron? Honest question
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • hot_rod
    Options

@hot_rod -- ponds are something else. You need to find something which breaks down the sludge -- but doesn't kill either the plants, if you have any, or the critters. I use various products from The Pond Guy (www.thepondguy.com). They don't exactly give them away... but they work.

Been down that road also, used killlakeweeds.com
    Crazy expensive, multi chemical cocktail. And it needs to be done on an ongoing basis.
    The cattle water from the pond so it is a blend supposedly safe for livestock.
    We also have a bunch of grass carp, but they seem to be selective on what they eat.
    Maybe the sludge is carp poop!
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • CantabHeat
    CantabHeat Member Posts: 33
    Options
    Can’t speak specifically on any product but as a concept it sounds legit. Many modern cleaning products contain enzymes to help break down stains and other organic material. Granted this is often in scenarios where one is trying to clean something without destroying something else—like getting stains out of clothing. 
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,258
    Options
    Aren't enzymes temperature specific. Isn't that why we die of hypothermia & hyperthermia?
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited December 2020
    Options
    hot_rod said:
    Been down that road also, used killlakeweeds.com Crazy expensive, multi chemical cocktail. And it needs to be done on an ongoing basis. The cattle water from the pond so it is a blend supposedly safe for livestock. We also have a bunch of grass carp, but they seem to be selective on what they eat. Maybe the sludge is carp poop!
    Carp crap
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!