Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help on Radiant Heat Problem

Options
2»

Comments

• TGO_wife
    TGO_wife Member Posts: 48
    edited December 2020
    Options
    after the pump installation caused the pump not to shut off, he changed settings.. I don't know which at this point, but they refuse to admit their errors may be causing the problem.
    Thanks for your help.. will try calling a few numbers I found in the morning

• TGO_wife
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @Ironman, @hot_rod , @JUGHNE & all who took the time to comment & help... just wanted to let you know.. found a contractor, Botto Brothers in Hicksville, who was able to put things right again this morning. The tech, Chris replaced the B&G pump with a Grundfos Alpha2 that I supplied. He took the time to figure out why the relay was used & had no problem answering my questions in detail. Came down to a few problems..
    ....NO CHECK VALVE was installed by Service Guy B
    .... The settings that B changed had to be put right
    So... sent A & B a text with picture of valveless pump..this morning..with how much it cost me to fix his mistake.. so far they haven't responded..
    JUGHNECanuckerSuperTech
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    Glad you are comfy again!
    CanuckerTGO_wifeSuperTech
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    So the one who replaced the pump lied to you when he said he put a check valve in it.

I'm glad you finally found someone who got it right.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,642
    Options
    So... what was the relay used for?
  • TGO_wife
    edited December 2020
    Options
    seems the relay is needed on this particular Lochnivar model WBN106 & the way the system is set up, when they tried to wire without it, there was no control over the pump & it would constantly run even without a call for heat. The tech gave me a more detailed explanation, but I honestly can't remember it... As for the clown who replaced the pump, when I asked him if he bought a check valve for the B&G NRF-25(the the box said it didn't have one) he came back with "I put a white plastic check valve in(said he had about 10 of them) " but there was no check valve when the pump was removed. & no apology from him after I sent picture of valveless pump.
    looked it up & the check valve specific to this pump is black.

here's a question..Could an incorrect check valve break loose of the pump & enter the supply piping?
    thanks again... @ratio @Ironman @JUGHNE
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Doubtful that could happen.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    TGO_wife
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    Yes the early versions of those checks could spit out and go down the piping.
    Here is where mine ended up, the 1" ell at the Lochinvar Knight boiler supply connection.
    I took the boiler out thinking the tubes have become plugged and found the check stuck in the ell!
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    TGO_wife
  • TGO_wife
    Options
    wow..ty.. now I find myself hoping the guy who says he installed it was just lying to try & cover his mistake..& it was never there...if it was stuck in the pipe, would there would be no flow or just reduced flow?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,069
    Options
    Concerning the added relay;
    There is a limitation on the system pump that the board can handle. I have added the relay when the pump load is borderline load on that internal fuse.
    The RIB relay is run by the board doing pilot duty only.
    If the pump never shut off, then the coil connections of the RIB must have relocated on the terminal strip incorrectly during the "fix" by the first person.
    TGO_wife
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    TGO_wife said:

wow..ty.. now I find myself hoping the guy who says he installed it was just lying to try & cover his mistake..& it was never there...if it was stuck in the pipe, would there would be no flow or just reduced flow?

What was interesting about my check issue, was it was an intermittent error on the boiler. Sometimes it would be fine for weeks, then would go into a flow related lock-out. I think the check was flopping around in the ell, sometimes allowing enough flow, sometimes blocking it causing the low flow lock out.

Of course it always locked out when I was out of town :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    TGO_wife