Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Looking for a facelift...Trying to swap old style steam radiators with a new look.

ChrisFChrisF Member Posts: 36
I have these convector style, steam heat radiators and covers, but am wondering if these can be swapped out for something that looks a little more modern and cosmetically appealing? I will be gutting an original 1956 built bathroom, and in my opinion, it would look a lot nicer if I could replace the convectors and covers with something more up-to-date. Does a baseboard style, steam radiator exist, or anything else that is smaller? Has anyone done this kind of replacement?, and if so, please offer some direction. Thank you

Comments

• ethicalpaulethicalpaul Member Posts: 2,061
    I would call yours "new style steam fixtures" and I would look to Craigslist for the older cast iron radiators to replace them.

A lot of the cast iron radiators have a very "modern" (design modern) design.

Or search "cast iron steam radiators" on google shopping to see a variety of current models. Baseray are very modern and clean if you have two-pipe which it appears you do.
    1 pipe Peerless 63-03L in Cedar Grove, NJ, coal > oil > NG
    ChrisF
  • IronmanIronman Member Posts: 5,922
    Two things:
    1. Whatever you choose, you need a radiator designed for steam.
    2. You need to find out the EDR of the existing convector so that you know its output and select the new radiator with at least that much output.
    Bob Boan

You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    ChrisF
    @Ironman would your point #2 apply even if the existing convector was making a space too hot?
    ChrisF
    Yes, but proper venting or a TRV could Usually solve that.
    Bob Boan

Well sure, but if you are replacing the radiator anyway, it's the perfect time to size the new one to the heating requirements of the space. Smaller radiators even cost less!
  • ChrisFChrisF Member Posts: 36
    @ethicalpaul @Ironman Thank you for those answers. Another option I am considering is to just custom build a wood cover to replace the current metal one on there, but not sure if that would create any issues.
    Something similar to this here, but a little slimmer profile...

• EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 7,543
    Yes you can build enclosures. Just make sure enough air can get in the bottom and heated air out the top or front.

Enclosures may reduce the heat output some what
    The comfort and "temperature leveling" effect of cast iron is worth a look over those fins IMO
    The cover must come in contact the edge of the coil so it separates the top from the bottom in order to create a "chimney effect" so air is drawn through the coil.
    Bob Boan

ChrisF
  • ChrisFChrisF Member Posts: 36
    @ethicalpaul Thanks. I'm sure the cast iron would be better, but I just don't want to add anything bulkier in size.
    What I really would prefer is a regular baseboard option similar to this, but unfortunately, it doesn't seem like anything like that exists for one pipe steam heat.

Baseray cast iron baseboard can be used with steam. It's just gonna take a lot more lineal footage to get the same output as that convector.
    Bob Boan

ChrisF
  • EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 7,543
    I have seen copper fin tube use on one pipe steam. I would not do it unless you can add a return line or loop seal it back into the supply
    ChrisF

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!