Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Removing Recessed Radiator

JakekJakek Posts: 10Member
edited July 13 in Strictly Steam
I have this sizable recessed radiator (see photo) which I'd like to remove. Suggestions on the best way to get it out of the wall once the pipes have been removed?

Comments

• Jamie HallJamie Hall Posts: 10,457Member
    Work under an assumed name? More seriously -- can you raise it in the enclosure at all? Perhaps just enough to slip some pieces of carpet under the legs? Then pull it right straight out. Otherwise, if you can't raise it, you're going to have to pull it straight out anyway -- and the floor will have some damage. The walls may have some damage, too, anyway. You may need to resort to a comealong to do the pulling.

Once you get it to where you can raise it, get it up on a heavy duty mover's dolly and you can roll it away.

It's going to be heavy -- several hundred pounds, min.
    Jamie

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
  • EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 5,795Member
    Plywood to protect the floors. Some scrap sheet metal under the legs extending out onto the plywood, pick up with a pry bar to put sheet metal under legs, it should slide out on the sheet metal
  • HVACNUTHVACNUT Posts: 2,176Member
    What are you replacing it with, or are you relocating it?
  • BoilerBossBoilerBoss Posts: 3Member
    edited July 13
    I would disconnect supply pipe and then remove whatever screws there are holding it in place. Finding all the points of attachment will be a challenge.

Take some pictures of the process. I'd like to see how you do it.
  • JakekJakek Posts: 10Member
    Thank you everyone for the suggestion. This community is great.

I'm trashing it because it's leaking slightly between the fins and it's a poorly insulated hole in the exterior of the house. The house was built with a freestanding radiator fed with a 1.25" pipe. That was reduced to 1" under the floor when they put this thing in. Thankfully, I think I can remove the reducing coupler, put back the elbow, and knock out that plug in the hardwood floor to run to a replacement.

I'd really like to replace it with a Steamview wall mounted radiator but they are $$$$ so might go with a craigslist special for the moment. That is, if I can get this thing out of the wall.

Anyone know where the usual attachment points are for these? I haven't tried to move or lift it yet. I'm going to need to repair the wall anyway once it's gone so I don't care much about damage.