Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

All copper

Options
Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
Look what a friend of mine rand into, the complain was the baseboard loop wasn’t hot.

SuperTechroelandp

Comments

• Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    I especially like the flowcheck! 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    So do I?
  • Dave0176
    Dave0176 Member Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Ooofff the copper plumbers strike again. Definitely not recommended.
    DL Mechanical LLC Heating, Cooling and Plumbing 732-266-5386
    NJ Master HVACR Lic# 4630
    Specializing in Steam Heating, Serving the residents of New Jersey
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/dl-mechanical-llc

https://m.facebook.com/DL-Mechanical-LLC-315309995326627/?ref=content_filter

I cannot force people to spend money, I can only suggest how to spend it wisely.......
    ethicalpaul
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,633
    Options
    Soooo pretty! IIWM I'd polish it up & clear coat it for the wife & kidlings to look at. :smiley::smiley::sweat_smile:
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Options
    How long does copper take to turn black when a copper a pad tear threads right into black pipe? How long before pinholes or threads leak?

I thought you should always have brass or bronze between them. Simplest to just use a ball valve.

At least there’s isolation valves. I had to change a relief valve on a 2 story home with a gravity hot water system that had no isolation. Rather than drain 200 gallons... I Just moved quick. It started to suck in air...which mean a bunch of water was about to drop after.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,873
    Options
    So I see a hot water loop added to a steam boiler. No problem there as long as it is piped properly. But if all the steam piping is copper, then how can we be sure the water loop is piped properly. I think he read "the lost art of steam" and got lost at the copper fitting isle is the supply house.

THE NEXT ISLE OVER IS BLACK PIPE AND FITTINGS!!!

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

• Snowmelt
    Options
    Ed, that’s what I was called for... the hot water loop
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,873
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Has it ever worked? If yes then there is air in the system. if no then it may not be installed properly and will never work.

Assuming that it worked at one time, you will need to see if the circulator pump and flo-check valve us operating properly. Since this is an open system, there may be an iron oxide (rust) issue. once you verify the pump and flo=check are not the cause of a blockage, then you need to purge air from the system. if all the basement piping for the baseboard loop is below the waterline, these should be easy. If there is a section of piping that goes above the water line then you need to be sure air cant migrate or leak into those high points.

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?

ethicalpaul
  • Snowmelt
    Options
    Thanks Ed, I kinda got the idea, just have to sell it to the customer