Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 radiators aren’t working and others are whistling loudly

MLR1281
MLR1281 Member Posts: 6
edited October 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Hello.

i have a gas boiler that uses steam to heat my house. It’s a Weil McLane.

Back story...
Two weeks ago I called the gas company to service my boiler because I was having an unrelated issue. The guy who came two weeks ago accidentally left the cover off where the flames are and caused my smoke alarms to go off in the basement. Not knowing what caused the alarms to go off I called the gas company back to figure out the issue.  Two techs came back (one I later found out was still in training) and they said since the cover was off, the heat began to melt my wiring and the transformer needed to be replaced. I also asked them to replace the glass that holds the water since it was dirty. The veteran tech worked on the water and the trainee did the transformer replacement. 

The guys left and claimed it was fixed, and as it was a warm day I turned the heat off. Minutes later I still felt heat and went to the basement to find that the boiler wasn’t  turning off even though my heat was turned to 60, and it was 70 degrees in the house.  I called pseg back and they said one of the wires wasn’t changed properly.

Issue...
A week or so has gone by and the temp is beginning to drop. When the heat is on 4 of my radiators are whistling (2 upstairs, and 2 on the first floor) and two fo them aren’t working at all (2 downstairs). Prior to the gas company making that “repair” I never had issues with whistling and all my radiators worked fine. I literally had the heat on weeks ago and didn’t have whistling and they all worked.  

The gas company came back the other day and said that my vents needed to be changed in the ones that are whistling and in the ones that aren’t working. He didn’t mention anything about the boiler or if the repair was done properly. 

But this doesn’t make sense to me. I’ve lived here for 7 years and never had an issue with whistling. The radiators never made any noise, now I’m being awakened at 5a every morning because of the loud whistling sound in my bedroom. 

I need to get all my ducks in a row before I call my gas company and complain. 
Can the transformer repair cause this issue? 

My radiators are single pipe. Pictures of the radiator and boiler are attached. 

Please help!! 

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Can you get someone other than PSEG to come and work on the system? They may know gas (although there is some question about that) but they clearly don't know heat.

And no, a transformer replacement won't cause a radiator to whistle... no way.

What might, and scares me, is that having miswired the thing once they may have done it again -- and failed to wire the pressuretrol into the system, or wired it in incorrectly. They may also have left out the low water cutout and sundry other things. This is not good, and I wouldn't trust them. Where are you located? We may know someone.

I won't comment on the piping, which is very pretty but comes under the heading of it ain't right, but if it works, don't fix it. It should all be insulated.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Ironman
  • MLR1281
    edited October 2020
    Thanks @Jamie Hall
    I’m in Central New Jersey.  
    I have a worry free plan with PSEG that is why I keep calling them. Also, if they are the ones who messed up my system, I’d like them to fix it instead of having to pay hundreds of dollars for a mistake they made. 

Should I discontinue using my heat until this is resolved? Is there danger in using it if the wires are miswired? 
  • MLR1281
    Also, what might be some causes for two of my radiators to stop working post the “repair.”
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited October 2020
    What good is a cheap repair if it’s not done right and causes more problems? It’s obvious these guys don’t know steam and they’re putting you, your family and property at risk. Have you ever seen the aftermath of a boiler explosion?

For the sake of your family, get a qualified steam pro out there to fix it. Then give the gas company the bill. They’re liable for it since they created the problem.

There are several good men on here that cover NJ. EzzyT is one of them. Search the contractor locator above.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    MLR1281 said:

...I have a worry free plan with PSEG that is why I keep calling them...

LOL...sounds like you're worried.

steve
    Ironmanethicalpaul
  • MLR1281
    Thanks @ironman
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Firstly the boiler was not piped properly.
    Secondly the copper steam supplies are not insulated and that causes excess condensate to form and enter the steam main.

If as you say you did not have problems prior to the service technicians this year check the steam pressure gauge when the boiler is operation. The steam pressure at maximum shoukd not exceed 2 psig.

The boilers pressure controller should shut the burner down at 2 psi and start the burner at 1 psig.

Jake
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    You may have a worry free plan, but it worries the dickens out of me. They miswired the boiler once. Who is to say they didn't do more mischief which didn't get corrected? If it were mine, and I weren't handy, I'd get on the 'phone to @EzzyT or @Danny Scully or one of those folks to come over and check it all out. Oh -- and turn off the power to it until they were able to come.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    edited October 2020
    @MLR1281

Non of the above addresses your most serious problem. You have a combustion and or venting/chimney issue.

Leaving the cover off will not cause the wiring to melt.

The boiler is not drafting properly to the chimney.

You need a professional to look at this in addition to your other problems.

The gas company doesn't know what they are doing. This needs to be checked ASAP you don't want Co or combustion fumes in your house
    STEAM DOCTOR
  • MLR1281
    @dopey27177 Thank you for your feedback.
  • MLR1281
    @EBEBRATT-Ed Thank you. I plan to have a professional come in this week to look over everything.