Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Yes, another Nest question. Shocker.

HVACNUT
HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
Today I was sent to one of our new construction (now almost complete) homes to install 6 owner supplied Nest E thermostats. Very simple things they are. However, I could not make them operable without having to first download the app, WiFi password, register, the whole nine yards.
I've set up other Nest and Honeywell stats that give you the option to complete those steps later, and still be able to use the thermostat. For whatever reason, the Nest E won't do it. Or more to the point of the thread, did I miss something? Any Nestperts out there who know?
I didn't really delve into it because the foreman said the owners will be out this weekend and they will download and register. The owner is a tech guy so he's sure he'll figure it out. And I'm available if needed. 
Thanks

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Yeah same thing with the Lyric. Has to be set up on the owners phone. Couldn't you just set it up on your phone, then hand off the account, p/w to them?
    steve
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Perhaps not -- it may require a "cookie" or some other small -- and hidden -- file on the specific 'phone or SIM card.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    @Jamie Hall I don’t know. More than one person (other family member) can have the app/operate the thermostats.
    steve
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    It's a little bit of an atypical situation. Some clients I never even meet or know their name, let alone get their WiFi password. Its seven degrees of separation with some of these people. 
    I think it's a poor setup. The thermostats are powered and ready to go. There's no reason they shouldn't be able to do what their most important purpose intends. It is first a thermostat, being a toy is second. 
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    HVACNUT said:

There's no reason they shouldn't be able to do what their most important purpose intends. It is first a thermostat, being a toy is second. 

Because GOOGLE cares more about gathering information then if it works!