Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

C.I. Radiator Height Adjustment

Hey Guys , I was wondering what is the best way to trim 1/4 inch from the legs of a small ci radiator ? I am thinking an angle grinder or a small band saw will work but just wanted some feedback from someone who has done this. The legs are not really fancy , just 3/8 square posts for my best description. Thanks for replies.
hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Depends on how far you can cut before you hit water. Never done it. an angle grinder or a band saw would work. Why not raise the piping? either by pulling it up (slightly) or by using fittings
    mattmia2
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Access to the piping is the main reason I am looking at trimming the radiator feet. And thinking about it now I don't care for the shape of the legs on the bottom so I'll kill 2 birds / 1 stone and use the grinder.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    I'd rather remove some of my floor than grind off my radiators' feet :sweat_smile:
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    pecmsgluketheplumberBobC
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Your taking a chance grinding the feed off, there may only be 1/8" before you grind through and then you'll have to replace that radiator.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    ethicalpaul
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    It would be interesting if someone here would cut the feet off of several leaker radiators headed to the scrap.
    I have often wondered if feet were hollow or solid.
    Could depend on the brand also.
    ethicalpaul
  • hvacfreak2
    There is a casing line about 1/4 inch up from the bottom ( where I would like to be ). But above that line all bets are off looking at it now. I'm going to go to the line and see what happens. I'll go with Baseray or a fabricate a pipe radiator if this doesn't work out. It's not a Victorian lions claw or anything , just a basic 3 tube water style. Changing any piping on this is just not an option.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Please let us know!
    luketheplumber
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    I would guess the legs are solid but who knows? And it's the kind of thing that could vary from leg-leg and manufacturer-manufacturer
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    A thin cutoff wheel on a 4" angle grinder would be my tool of choice. May be easier than grinding away all the metal.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hvacfreak2
    edited October 2020
    I ended up using a heavy wheel . It's almost like the feet had solid metal " pads " on the bottom for this purpose . I removed what I needed to with no problems. Being careful is the same as being wise , but some folks freak the f out when mentioning such things as grinding some cast iron. SMH , I guess nervous folks don't break anything ( or win races ) for sure.

hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

• ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    I don't think you need to affect that mocking tone. You asked people's opinions, and responsible people are cautious to give advice that if followed could cause your radiator to be ruined. Next time feel free to saw anything you want without asking.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • motoguy128
    motoguy128 Member Posts: 393
    Being caution and calculating is how the often win races.... and how you run profitable businesses.

Doing something once carefully and taking 30 minutes is faster than rushing and doing it the first time in 25 and the second time in another 35.... because you really don’t want to do it a 3rd time.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    There are old pilots. There are bold pilots. There are no old, bold pilots...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    JUGHNE
  • hvacfreak2
    edited November 2020

There are old pilots. There are bold pilots. There are no old, bold pilots...

Don Garlits
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Garlits

But yeah I'm going to admit when I was finished I was sorry I even brought it up.

hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

SgtMaj