Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1918 vs 2020

Options
2»

Comments

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I have three adult daughters and two granddaughters that I have not hugged in two months, nor will I until this thing subsides.

Does it hurt not to? Damn right it does.

I could be, or they could be asymptomatic and we could pass it among ourselves and then what? That's a risk I'm not willing to take. I love them dearly and, above all, I will do everything in my power to keep them safe.

This too shall pass.
    Steve Minnich
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,583
    Options
    I'm with @Steve Minnich. I get @Jamie Hall but there are other other kinds of suffering to consider when there is community spread.

We want to share the love but not the virus.

• Sal Santamaura
    Sal Santamaura Member Posts: 529
    edited May 2020
    Options

...I can see no good from the lockdowns...

Perhaps spending some time with front line medical workers (doctors, nurses, support staff, EMTs, etc.) who must deal with the consequences of prematurely ended lockdowns -- or the absence of lockdowns in places where politics triumphs over good sense and cases are now skyrocketing -- would improve your vision.

...I see great evil -- and I do not use the term lightly -- from a privileged few forcing others to do what they themselves want done, even from the best of motives.

"Privileged" reasonably describes the status of those who write and enforce laws. Laws like ones that prohibit, say, killing. Would you agree that laws against killing exist as a result of "the best of motives?" How can you ascribe evil to laws against killing? How can you ascribe evil to lockdown orders designed to minimize deaths?
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    edited May 2020
    Options
    My wife is a practicing Certified Nurse.
    Steve Minnich
  • SlamDunk
    Options
    I'm in the south. My family is in NYC. Numbers are going down in NYC but going up in the South.

This is 30 miles from my home:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/27/sports/autoracing/ace-speedway-crowd-coronavirus.html

I don't trust my fellow man. He doesn't give me any reason too.
    A whole lot of stupid in that photo that can't be fixed!
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    Its funny, I was just asked to quote the installation of in-duct ionizers for several federal buildings.

I too am biased, I live in a rural county and we have had 1 death, and 10 cases to date.

I was speaking with a good friend who was not able to go to a funeral of his wife's elderly uncle who passed away in another state. He died of a heat attack at 85. His death was declared to be from COVID-19. The family was outraged and from a heated Zoom call, his cause of death was changed.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I dont know how much of the numbers can be trusted. It's a sad state when death is used for some type of agenda.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • SlamDunk
    Options
    Covid reportedly causes heart attacks. Happened to an elderly friend. He tested positive post mortem. He didnt even know he was sick. Didn't have a history of heart ailments. Died March 11. Will be buried June 4.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • jrkeat
    jrkeat Member Posts: 71
    Options
    New York is making a recommendation for HEPA filters in high-rise buildings, and they will be a requirement for opening malls.
  • jrkeat
    jrkeat Member Posts: 71
    Options
    The requirement in New York State announced today is that malls must have a MERV 11 filter or higher in their HVAC system. If the system can function with a higher MERV rating, it must use the better filter up to MERV 13. This is based on the ability of those filters to filter out Covid. (There are other regulations about air exchange rates, etc.) While there is no good scientific understanding of how much it will lower the transmission rate, they felt it was a good cost/benefit tradeoff.