Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

--> Need a Steam oil boiler with AFUE ≥ 87% -15k loan .99% APR, 10 years to pay back. Could you?<--

Options
2»

Comments

• LS123
    LS123 Member Posts: 466
    Options
    Good morning @pecmsg !

I do not know...there are bunch of independent heating oil vendors in each town and city in CT (probably over 100s) . They transport heating fuel to their customers by tanker trucks.

There are only two big companies that control Natural gas to most towns and cities.

But where I live, we do not have gas lines or city water... we are too far and it is not cost effective for big companies, dig and put gas lines or water pipes.

People who like gas in my area, they have the option to have gas delivered and fill their tanks, I do not know the sizes of them, but I know for sure, one of my friends has a huge gas tank under ground.

Even if anyone give me a huge tank like that free and the gas free... I would feel safer using oil...

\-LS

Thank you!
    @LS123
  • LS123
    Options
    Good morning @Jamie Hall

Thank you so much for informative and detailed response.

This is awesome!

I am learning a lot from all of you!

I love learning about new things, all of your contributions are well received and appreciated very much!

Thank you!
    \-LS
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 912
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @Jamie Hall’s detailed explanation of the efficiency difference in burning gas vs. oil is worthy of a graduate school seminar in the chemistry of combustion.

For some reason, Connecticut apparently does not want to give a low interest loan for installing an efficient oil fired steam boiler. Either that, or they have simply made a mistake. They are certainly willing enough to do it for gas fired systems, and for oil fired hot water systems.

There are certainly thousands of steam heating systems in parts of the state that do not have natural gas service. They aren’t all going to convert to propane.

It’s rather puzzling. You may not ultimately be successful; but I think it’s worth a politely worded letter to the board.

Bburd
  • LS123
    Options
    @bburd, @Jamie Hall

I am guessing and hoping its a oversight, someone forgot to add "Oil Steam Boiler to the list"

If the Connecticut Energy Efficiency Board can approve Natural Gas Steam Boiler @ AFUE ≥ 82.00%;.

Then why can I not get my Mega Steam Oil boiler that has AEUF ≥ 86%?? Where is @ @HVACNUT ? I bet he agrees with me :)

There are 14 people on the Board. Out of 14, there are 7 people on the Board that represent gas and electric companies. Other 7 represent other interests such as environment protection, charity for people who can't afford expensive fuel bills, etc

I can confidently say that I pay close to or over $900,00 a month during heating season. That is why I want to get Mega Steam, and Big A$$ wood burning stove (Regency F5200) that cover 3000 SQ feet.

Nobody to represent oil dependent consumers.

I am going to ask them if I can join the board to represent oil dependent customers :0 ....it probably will not work, since I know only very little about oil based heat products etc. Unless I keep calling one of you guys or all of you to get info...

I intend to write to Connecticut Energy Efficiency Board tomorrow. Will let you know what they tell me.

Thank you all!
    \-LS

Thank you!
    @LS123
  • LS123
    Options
    @ bburd

By the way Connecticut has 3.573 million.

Below is the information from US government (Per US Energy Information Administration) https://www.eia.gov/

"The residential sector, where 4 out of 10 Connecticut households use fuel oil or other petroleum products as the primary energy source for home heating, consumes almost one-fourth of the petroleum used in the state."

I hope I may be able to convince them to add oil fired steam boilers to the list.

Otherwise they are SERIOUSLY doing a disservice to lots of heating fuel dependent consumers. Especially when some or most oil steam boilers are 85% ≥ AFUE and Mega Steam AEUF ≥ 86%.

\-LS
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • LS123
    Options
    There will be no changes to the list, such as oil fired steam boiler (mega steam would not qualify for incentives and low finance rates. Will request to have this discussion to be closed. Thank you all for your input. much appreciated.
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,834
    Options
    Blink once if Big Nat Gas is suppressing you.

Do the job regardless. Mega Steam, near boiler piping, and venting. You will save heavily on fuel consumption and that's what counts.
    LS123
  • LS123
    Options
    Good morning @HVACNUT ,
    Thank you for all the contributions from you and others, I agree with you, and I am going to go with Mega Steam. I contacted Charlie from wmass to see if he provide service in the are I live at.
    Best!
    \-Lalantha
    Thank you!
    @LS123
    STEVEusaPAHVACNUT
This discussion has been closed.