Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding water to steam boiler ?

grye
grye Member Posts: 88
Hi all. To start, I know to never add water to a hot boiler.

With that being said, I don’t have an automatic water feeder. How often should I have to be adding water to the system?

I’m in New York. It hasn’t been a terribly cold season, but at least once every two weeks I add water or else the lwco kicks in. Is this too often to infer a problem? Thanks.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,113
    It is a bit often. Not outrageous -- if it's only a gallon or two -- but not perfect, either.

Thing is, a loss at that rate can be very hard to find. Some possible places to look are vents which don't quite seal, valves where the packing is a little tired... that sort of thing. Sometimes it may be just a small drip on a return -- small enough so that you would hardly notice it. Worth looking for, if only to get more familiar with your system, but not worth losing sleep over.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,756
    check your wet returns, all the piping in the basement.
    and while the boiler is cool, flood it to the header, wait an hour or 2, and check under for leakage,
    known to beat dead horses
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,113
    ^^ good idea -- never hurts -- but based on my experience with these things, that rate of loss is going to be at most a stupid little drip somewhere out in the wilderness, if it isn't a few valve stems or vents.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    I had a Gorton 4 that wouldn't close on a small sunrad radiator two days ago that made my water level drop substantially. It is amazing how much water can be lost by one small vent failing. I flushed it out and it is back in service working fine.
    ethicalpaul