Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas piping in stairways and chases

Options
Zman
Zman Member Posts: 7,569
I am working on a project where we would like to run threaded gas pipe up through an egress stairwell to the roof and then back down a multi fireplace chase to each fireplace. The building is a 7 story concrete structure.
I realize that there a millions of local codes that can be considered. I am working out of the 2018 IBC, IMC, and IFGC.
I am looking for actual code sections that allow or disallow this installation.
Thank you in advance,
Carl
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
Albert Einstein

Comments

• Zman
    Options
    It's a little early in the year for crickets :)
    Albert Einstein
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,702
    Options
    You kind of jinxed yourself tbh: I realize that there a millions of local codes that can be considered.
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,907
    Options
    I don't have a copy of the code book handy, but Minneapolis code allows schedule 40 steel, type L copper, or CSST in any indoor gas piping installation (threaded or welded steel joints, flared or brazed copper joints) UNLESS it runs through a return air plenum, which cannot have any joints unless welded steel or brazed copper.

If I were doing that job, it would be all sch 40 black through the stair, galvanized or painted sch 40 steel on the roof, with a brazed copper drop through the chase.

No, it's not what you asked for but it may be useful in some way.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    The main issue may be fire stopping between the various levels in the chase

I’ve never heard of an issue with exposed steel pipe

Might check NFPA code also, and the local AHJ
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Zman
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    Through a building is one thing
    In an Egress Stair I don't think its going to fly!
  • Zman
    Options

You kind of jinxed yourself tbh: I realize that there a millions of local codes that can be considered.

I have read my local code amendments and it is not addressed. Therefore I am trying to limit the conversation to the 2018 IBC, IMC, and IFGC. As hotrod mentioned, I may need to dig into the dreaded NFPA :s
    Albert Einstein
    ethicalpaul
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    Zman said:

I have read my local code amendments and it is not addressed. Therefore I am trying to limit the conversation to the 2018 IBC, IMC, and IFGC. As hotrod mentioned, I may need to dig into the dreaded NFPA :s
    In this neck of the world Fire Code for Egress Stairs.
  • ChicagoCooperator
    ChicagoCooperator Member Posts: 354
    Options
    What's a "multi fireplace chase"? A flue that served multiple fireplaces or an actual chase? If there are going to be gas connections to the fireplaces (for like gas logs) is that chase going to be the vent space? If that's correct I would imagine no code would allow the gas supply in sounds like effectively the venting flue.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    Your probably going to have to get the inspection authority involved.

For me just looking at what is allowed in other parts of the country that won't fly in Massachusetts are 2 things:

Copper isn't usually allowed unless for propane

and

We can't use any galvanized pipe on gas either
    Zman
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Over four stories means a 'chase' must instead become a 'shaft', which translates into fire rated assemblies and firestopping. Otherwise, no gas code concerns I'm aware of beyond support and no unions as its considered a concealed space.
    ZmanSTEVEusaPA
  • Zman
    Options
    @BobHarper
    You are correct, the AHJ sent me to this:

713.8.1 Prohibited Penetrations
    Penetrations other than those necessary for the purpose of the shaft shall not be permitted in shaft enclosures.

I believe they are going to allow it mostly because we are tearing out unsafe wood burners.

Thanks for the help
    Albert Einstein