Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Combi-boiler, cold rooms and two types of radiators

Options
2»

Comments

• aw273
    aw273 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks Ironman - I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just relaying what I was told. It was also a warranty replacement, so this Tech would not have changed the tank size, anyway.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I know you're not. I just amazes me how a parts changer with no real hydronic knowledge will spout of something like that without even checking to see if it's true.

I just ran it on Amtrol's sizing tool and using the quick residential calculator it recommended an SXV 30 floor tank which has an acceptance volume of 11.3 gal. Your EX 30 tank has an acceptance volume of 2.5 gal. Can you see the difference? You need a tank that's almost 5 X the size you now have.

Their commercial calculator called for an AX40V which also has an acceptance of 11.3 gal.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • aw273
    Options
    I know this tech isn't the best (everyone I've spoken to on this board or in real life dismissed the idea of cleaning out the radiators as the solution), but I would have thought the installer 6 years ago was capable.

I have them coming out on Tuesday and I'll specifically ask about a bigger tank.

I just double checked the pipe diameters and they are 2.5" and 2" in the laundry room, and then scale down in the first 8-10' to 1.5" and 1" pipes. It is a mess of old iron and then copper, where past home owners have renovated.
  • aw273
    Options
    Ironman, out of curiosity, I went to the Amtrol calculator and at the max BTU for my boiler from the Navien site*, it told me the EX 30 if I select finned baseboards and EX 60 if I select Cast Iron.

Most of my system is on the finned ones (10/12 radiators).

And the 30 and 60 have a 2.4 G and 2.5 G acceptance volume, respectively. is that a big difference? and what should I adjust to get the recommendation you got for a larger tank (i.e. what am I doing wrong)?

*(I read max for my combi is 120,000 btu and I put 125,000 in the calculator).

• Ironman
    Options
    Here's' a copy of Amtrol's residential sizing chart. You need to insist that they follow this, not their opinions.

Bob Boan
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    And there isn't any need to switch out the brass radiators. With some thought and intelligent work, honestly pretty much any radiator can be balanced with any other. Don't let them do it.

So far you've had some good advice from the good folks above -- and some not so good (if quite understandable) advice from someone local. Where is this project? It may be that we know someone nearby who might be able to swing by and take a look -- and whom we could vouch for.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • aw273
    Options
    Hi Jamie,

We're in Toronto.

Ironman, what's the difference between the SX series and the EX? the SX seem like higher volume for the same BTU's on their website.

thanks,

aron
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Oh dear. Toronto. Nice city... if you like cities. But I don't think we have folks up that way (there's a good man in Montreal, but that's way too far!).

That being the case, do the best you can with your "techs" -- and tell them to listen to @Ironman -- he really does know what he's doing.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • aw273
    Options
    Thanks Jamie,

My understanding is that the boiler has a max temperature of 180F which is about the minimum for the brass radiators and then they have no thermal mass once the boiler stops running, which are both contributing to the discomfort in the house.

Believe me, I don't want to change anything if I can help it. That's one of the reasons why I'm here.

I really appreciate the advice from Ironman and you and everyone here. It is helping me learn a lot. I need enough context to have an intelligent conversation with the local "experts," otherwise they can just jargon me into whatever they're recommending. So the more I understand the more empowered I can be.

and of course, on this forum, the only advice people can give me is based off my own poor descriptions and semi-understood information, so I might be causing my own confusion ;)

aron
  • Ironman
    edited February 2020
    Options
    aw273 said:

Ironman, out of curiosity, I went to the Amtrol calculator and at the max BTU for my boiler from the Navien site*, it told me the EX 30 if I select finned baseboards and EX 60 if I select Cast Iron.

Most of my system is on the finned ones (10/12 radiators).

And the 30 and 60 have a 2.4 G and 2.5 G acceptance volume, respectively. is that a big difference? and what should I adjust to get the recommendation you got for a larger tank (i.e. what am I doing wrong)?

*(I read max for my combi is 120,000 btu and I put 125,000 in the calculator).

You're correct about the 120k btus instead of the 200k. But this is why I said that it needed to be calculated with the commercial calculator because of the water volume in your large pipes. The residential calculator doesn't factor that extra volume in, it just uses a generalized factor based upon btus. The commercial is a scientific one that doesn't use btus, but water volume and the amount of degrees it's heated. You also have two cast iron rad's that factor in. Covering them with blankets doesn't change that.

The commercial calculator called for an AX 40V which is a commercial tank that has the same acceptance as the SX 30V which is a residential version.

You cannot over-size an expansion tank (within reason), but you most certainly can under-size one as you're experiencing. The cost of the SX30 is not significantly that much more. Go with that one and the problem will be gone.

Isn't that what you want?

Bob Boan
  • aw273
    Options
    Absolutely!

And appreciate the added couple of points:

1) you can’t really oversize an expansion tank, and
    2) the difference is the extra water in the bigger pipes

That gives me a lot more ability to pushback if they try and tell me a larger tank isn’t needed.
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    OK -- you have the tank to fix now! Pity we don't have someone nearby to play, as there is a way -- indeed, a rather simple way (if you know what you are doing, that is) to handle the low mass brass radiators. That is, moderate the water temperature from the boiler to match the heat demand, and keep the water circulating all the time. You may have read about outdoor reset -- and that is the principle behind it. In your situation you might have one zone for your two cast iron radiators and another for the brass (although that might not be needed). The controls would be a little more complicated than just a thermostat!

Another approach might be to play with the thermostat, either the anticipator or the cycles per hour setting. Having the boiler coming on more often, but not for as long a time each time, might even things out more, too.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    edited February 2020
    Options

Oh dear. Toronto. Nice city... if you like cities. But I don't think we have folks up that way (there's a good man in Montreal, but that's way too far!).

That being the case, do the best you can with your "techs" -- and tell them to listen to @Ironman -- he really does know what he's doing.

maybe the good guy in Montreal knows of a good guy in Toronto ?

known to beat dead horses
  • Jamie Hall
    Options
    Well, he might... it's @Henry
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,131
    Options
    There are plenty of qualified hydronic companies in the Toronto area. Where about are you located?

The wholesalers often know which contractors are the most knowledgeable, so do manufacturer reps.
    If you call a wholesaler ask for the hydronics department.

Equipco is the Caleffi rep for that area, at least one of them has been a contractor and would know who to call. Let me know if you need a contact.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • aw273
    Options
    Sure Hot_Rod a contact would be appreciated
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    The pressure reading on the display is on the discharge of the internal pump not the outlet. It reads a bit 5psi high. 20-25 is normal for these boilers when running m. I think it fills to 17-18 static. That parameter can be lowered.

Why the mixing valve on the domestic? The system has a minimum flow and it’s even more touchy in the combis I’ve found and will cycle on and off and may not play nice combined with the check valves in the mixing valve. I’d ditch it altogether and just set it to 120 or 125.

That expansion tank is too small if you have larger steel pipe in the system and are running higher temps.

The upstairs nearing issues could be air locked or a balancing problem with how he piped it. Should have reduced to 1” for each some if each floor can be isolated and used separate pumps for each Zone. Maybe I missed that in another post.
  • mikeg2015
    Options
    Just demand the bigger tank. There isn’t a huge price difference. He’s lost 2x that in call backs already. Too big is not a problem either. About EVERY commercial “engineered” system I’ve seen has an undersized expansion tank because they used the wrong data somewhere in their calculations.
  • mikeg2015
    Options
    One more note. If you are running higher water Supply temps, you may need to slow down the internal pump to reduce return water temps so the return on the secondary loop matches the primary. That internal pump is I think around 5-7GPM from low to high from the estimates I’ve run Thats with glycol so maybe a little higher with water.

The opposite can happen. You supply 180 but secondary flow rate is higher than the internal pump so the radiators only get 170-175.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    You can also add an additional exp tank instead of replacing the one if it is too small.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    Options
    aw273 said:

Sure Hot_Rod a contact would be appreciated

I'll get some names to you today

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    Options
    I'll send you a private message with 3 names and contact info. You should have a mailbox at the top right of the header here. if not send me an e-mail bob.rohr@caleffi.com
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • aw273
    Options
    found them, thanks!