Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No heat electrical?

Awoke this morning to no heat. The flu was struggling to open on my national gas steam boiler making a humming sound from the transformer on the right side and best of all, there is no spark or flame no way of testing it with a lighter since it's an ignition system any ideas?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    You say the flue was struggling to open? By that, do you mean a powered damper on the flue pipe from the boiler to the chimney? If so, it has to open -- fully -- before the boiler's burner can get any power at all. There should be a way to open it and lock it open manually. Then the boiler should fire.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • hankwylerjr
    hankwylerjr Member Posts: 124
    edited January 2020

@Jamie Hall I opened it but still no flame could it be the rollout switch
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Do you have a multimeter?
    You should be able to work your way around the safety circuit and see which switch is staying open.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,952
    Could be lots of things. You need to know how the circuits are set up and how to use a Multimeter. If not it might be advisable to hire a professional
    B_Sloane
  • hankwylerjr
    hankwylerjr Member Posts: 124
    Before I left to get the Volt meter at the garage I realized that I should check the reset on the switch it tripped due to a door being open maybe a draft but all is well