Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

trap testing, if you could only do one, would it be infrared camera or ultrasonic listener?

Options

Trying to figure out what bad traps that I have (50 rads/50 traps). If you could only have one tool for testing traps, what would it be? I cannot afford both at this point.

Backstory: I bought an abandoned church/school and replaced the steam boiler (2nd hand from a ravioli factory from New Jersey). I work full time and trying to keep the steam boiler going (amidst other things) on weekends and evenings.

Thank you,
Phillip

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,072
    Options
    IMO, the FLIR gun has worked the best for me. I have the entry level one that cost $350 a few years ago.
    It works best if you can view the return pipe a foot or so away from the trap.
    And if a full basement you can walk and look at the hottest return pipes.
    Also able to see how much the rads are heating across, how far the steam has traveled or where it has stopped.
    I like it so I don't have to crawl around and am able to see what I need by standing a distance away..... (old knees)
    Works good in a nursing home with BB heaters in a loop circuit.
    Able to stand in the hallway and see how far the heat is getting.
    It was able to locate 160 degree water pipe behind sheetrock wall board. FWIW
    rhodebumpSTEVEusaPA
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,645
    Options
    IR without a doubt. I have a Fluke VT-04 that I got for hunting a leak in an underground condensate leak, it performed admirably for the task. I recently picked up a FLIR One Pro, I admit to being very impressed with it, although it doesn't seem to hold a charge (I leave it in my backpack until I need/want it).
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,589
    Options
    Tempilsticks work.
  • Sailah
    Sailah Member Posts: 826
    Options
    Coming from someone who does this for a living...

Ultrasound is the last word.

That said Flir is a far more useful tool after you're done with trap testing for lots of other uses.

If you want the best tool for the job get an Accutrak VPE. If you want the most universal tool get a FLIR.

If you want to spend the least get a cheap IR gun for $20 and deal with not being able to look at things like Predator.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Sailah said:

....Ultrasound is the last word...
    ...If you want the best tool for the job get an Accutrak VPE

Gee thanks. Now I want one! :)
    I wonder if it will detect a vacuum leak in an oil line?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Sailah
    Options
    Yes. I have a range of Accutraks. My high end VPX-WR is insanely sensitive. In air mode it will home in on a minuscule leak. It's very sensitive in contact mode too.

I usually use my Accutrak VPE-2000 for trap testing as it has a line out so i can attach a voice recorder.

I'll make both of you @STEVEusaPA @rhodebump an offer. On Monday Dec 16th, I'm leaving Boston to drive to Pottstown PA. If either of you are reasonably on my way, I'll have all my test gear (Accutraks, FLIRs) and happy to swing by. Assuming Rhode is Rhode Island and Steve is in PA
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,589
    edited December 2019
    Options
    You can replace all 50 radiator traps for what some FLIRs cost (mine costs 4K several years ago).

Ultra sound is only as good as the user. I have had trained ultra sound contractors ( it's all they do) tell me a trap is good only t find it in pieces when opened.

A tempil stick will tell you if steam is passing thru or if trap is stuck closed for 18 bucks and you could do all 50 traps with one stick.

https://www.grainger.com/product/TEMPIL-Temperature-Indicator-Stick-39DM68
  • coelcanth
    coelcanth Member Posts: 89
    Options
    for the cheapest solution,
    why not just an inexpensive IR thermometer gun as mentioned above ?
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    Sailah said:

Yes. I have a range of Accutraks. My high end VPX-WR is insanely sensitive. In air mode it will home in on a minuscule leak. It's very sensitive in contact mode too.

I usually use my Accutrak VPE-2000 for trap testing as it has a line out so i can attach a voice recorder.

I'll make both of you @STEVEusaPA @rhodebump an offer. On Monday Dec 16th, I'm leaving Boston to drive to Pottstown PA. If either of you are reasonably on my way, I'll have all my test gear (Accutraks, FLIRs) and happy to swing by. Assuming Rhode is Rhode Island and Steve is in PA

I wish I could come out and play, but I'm dead into heating season. I'm 45 min from Pottstown, no traffic, up 422. Where are you heading Columbia Boiler?
    I'm actually going to get one, as I believe everything you are saying to be true.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• rhodebump
    rhodebump Member Posts: 152
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I ended up buying a "FLIR ONE Pro" IR camera. I will update this thread with a few pics of my traps in a few days.
    ethicalpaul
  • Sailah
    Options
    > @STEVEusaPA said:
    > (Quote)
    > I wish I could come out and play, but I'm dead into heating season. I'm 45 min from Pottstown, no traffic, up 422. Where are you heading Columbia Boiler?
    > I'm actually going to get one, as I believe everything you are saying to be true.

Keep an eye on ebay and industrial auctions. They come up regularly. I bought my last VPE-2000 and VPX-WR for less than a c note as one auction lot.
    Peter Owens
    SteamIQ