Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Saving a bit of heat.

I live on a hill top. Brutal wind. Not so in the valley. Anyhow, all night long I could hear the flapper plastic door/valves swing open sucking out heat from my bathroom vent fans. (When the fans were off).

So I put in 24vac power dampers on relays activated by the bathroom fan on 120v. Problem solved. Prior to that I had 2 four inch holes in the house venting heat into the outside. It has probably been covered before. If so, I apologize.

Now, when the bathroom fan runs, unimpeded exhaust to outside. Fan off = sealed drum tight.
On my 3, or 4 th year. Maybe more. Works great in a tight house. ICF construction with radiant floor heat.

Thank you,
Dave

Comments

• GordyGordy Member Posts: 9,346
    Great idea. Also keeps precipitation out (blowing snow, or rain) on the roof type vents when not in use.
  • IcarusIcarus Member Posts: 53
    Most modern bath fans have a damper built into the fan housing. The terminal cap also has a damper. While I like the concept of a powered stack damper, the headache factor might not be worth the effort?

Icarus
  • Larry WeingartenLarry Weingarten Member Posts: 1,608
    Hi, I installed just that motorized damper on my kitchen exhaust about 15 years ago and it still is going strong. Perhaps I don’t cook enough :D
    Yours, Larry
  • GordyGordy Member Posts: 9,346
    What’s happened with one bath fan a couple times, is snow blows in the exterior housing. Lays in the duct, and doesn’t melt. Until you take a shower with the fan going. The secondary flapper is open the snow melts, and runs all over the bathroom floor.
  • mikeg2015mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,041
    Mine are under a deep soffit so haven’t noticed. I wonder if vents on a wall face get more updrafts and flip them open?

I did like the central exhaust fan design better.

When in stalled central air, I almost went with mini splits for the 4 main bedrooms and use a continuous ERV to vent & pull conditioned air into the bathrooms.
  • pecmsgpecmsg Member Posts: 948
    Be careful with a ICF sealed home that its not too tight.

Every home should have a complete air change every 6-8 hours too stay healthy and exhaust indoor pollutants!
  • TAGTAG Member Posts: 176
    That's a good idea ..... my last two projects have used the external mount Fantech unit -- that still requires a damper .... but the units fan design limits the backflow.

On a big kitchen exhaust -- it's a very good idea .... as long as you can clean it
  • DaveinscrantonDaveinscranton Member Posts: 2
    These are under a 4 foot roof overhang. For whatever reason, nothing was keeping the vents (original) closed in the wind. I think it is a fluke situation of the house orientation and prevailing winds.

Works great. I had most of the parts so no big expense. Maybe 4 hours tops in the attic. Maintenance free for years (so far).

I love the kitchen stove vent idea. I love stuff like this more when I make it of discarded parts.