Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Disable the CI baseboard/rads, switch to hydro air

Options
I'm getting this from almost all contractors with which I am discussing my reno of a 3K sq ft 1914 build in Eastern MA. First floor is almost entirely CI baseboard, with 2nd a mix of CI baseboard and rads.

This started as a desire to add AC. Ducts are going in (conventional or hi V TBD). Discovered GB142 and indirect have failed, so replacement for both will happen. Now the contractors are pushing to disable the hydronics and go hydro air, which will likely be less expensive for both install and maintenance. I am aware of this group's general opinion of scorched air, and forced hot water is what I know best over the years.

None of the several contractors have offered their heat loss calcs or manual J. Some are asking for a hydronics design? I am realizing there is a difference between a designer and installer.

My question to the Wall's gurus. It appears I need the services of an HVAC DESIGNER. Looking for a good referral in Eastern MA. Please feel free to unicast me.

Thanks a bunch.

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,862
    Options
    If your going A/C might as well make it a heat pump for use in mild weather.

Hydro coils are not that much extra I just don’t understand why they want to rip out all the rads? That’s a lot of labor for what?
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,330
    Options
    This^^^. You'd get the A/C in the warmer times, plus good heat in the shoulder seasons. And keep the nice hydronic heat the rest of the year. If the boiler or other things really need replacing, you can do that. There are several good folks in eastern MA -- try @New England SteamWorks or @Charlie from wmass , for instance.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Ironman
  • woobagooba
    woobagooba Member Posts: 186
    Options
    Clarifying a few points...

- I am being quoted heat pumps + hydro air.
    - I seek a hydronics system designer. If the hydronics stay, they will be re-piped and several new emitters will be added to the system (type TBD).

Re: ripping out the baseboards and rads. The replacement baseboard trim is prime real estate for new electrical receptacles.
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,322
    Options
    If you are looking for a consultant I know a few guys. Why can't they just put the electrical outlets a little bit taller?
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
    Ironmanicy78KC_Jones
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Rich McGrath does excellent design work.

You need to can ALL OF THOSE who want to rip out the hydronics. They don't understand it, therefore, they want to get rid of it. Don't let them do it.

The guys mentioned above are worth contacting.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.