Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Asbestos in Combustion Chamber?

Options
bwroga
bwroga Member Posts: 44
We just had our boiler tune-up and the technician replaced the combustion chamber lining because it had deteriorated. The boiler is a Peerless EC-04. I'm not sure of the age, but it does have an energy star sticker on it. I researched energy star and found that it was instituted in the mid 1990s. How likely is it that there was asbestos inside the boiler and that it was disturbed? Thanks.

Comments

• Intplm.
    Intplm. Member Posts: 1,946
    Options
    Asbestos was banned in the United States in 1977. The Toxic substance control act with the EPA stopped the use of asbestos, and widely used lead based products such as household paint and other building materials.
    So, to answer your question. With that boiler. It's very unlikely
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    Unlikely. But not absolutely impossible. Asbestos was pretty well phased out by about 1990, but it has never actually been banned in the US, although there are major restrictions on its use.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Intplm.ChrisJBrewbeer
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    No asbestos but the fibrous material is listed to as a possible cancer cause. Handle with gloves, mask when installing/removing.
    I wouldn't worry about it affecting you in any way.
    steve
  • bwroga
    bwroga Member Posts: 44
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    That looks same as the current modern Peerless boiler they make now. SHould just bee a ceramic fiber material that most all boilers have after about 1980-ish.

It’s still no good to breath and if very likely to cause cancer in California.

https://www.lynnmfg.com/hvac/chamber-perfect-fit/
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options
    mikeg2015 said:

That looks same as the current modern Peerless boiler they make now. SHould just bee a ceramic fiber material that most all boilers have after about 1980-ish.

It’s still no good to breath and if very likely to cause cancer in California.

https://www.lynnmfg.com/hvac/chamber-perfect-fit/

I thought I said that yesterday...
    steve
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    > @STEVEusaPA said:
    > (Quote)
    > I thought I said that yesterday...

The California comment was tongue and cheek. Everything causes cancer there it seems.
    mattmia2
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options
    LOL I left that out as it's a standard label on everything now...
    steve
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,671
    Options
    mikeg2015 said:

> @STEVEusaPA said:

> (Quote)

> I thought I said that yesterday...

The California comment was tongue and cheek. Everything causes cancer there it seems.

Or maybe they just push a little harder to let you know what you really shouldn't be eating or breathing if it can be avoided?

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • heathead
    heathead Member Posts: 234
    Options
    I would be very careful. I know in the 80 I was dealing with Asbestos gaskets. I had no idea they had asbestos in them at the time until they had warnings on them 10 years later. When you see the warnings years later you wonder why in the late 80's one didn't have warnings then, if they phase out asbestos in the 1977. When Fixing a boiler with asbestos insulation covering the pipes what precautions are people in the field taking. IE boiler replacement do you have customers do full abatement first, or just try not to disturb the pipes to much ? I always wonder. Do you hope the people in the boiler room did the right thing years ago and try not to disturb anything on the ground that might be left when someone didn't know any better and took insulation down without proper abatement steps.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,625
    Options
    ChrisJ said:

mikeg2015 said:

> @STEVEusaPA said:
    > (Quote)Everything causes cancer there it seems.

Or maybe they just push a little harder to let you know what you really shouldn't be eating or breathing if it can be avoided?
    Aother interpretation of the data would be that California causes cancer…
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    ratio said:

ChrisJ said:

mikeg2015 said:

> @STEVEusaPA said:
    > (Quote)Everything causes cancer there it seems.

Aother interpretation of the data would be that California causes cancer…

there you go...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    Options
    Right now California is polluting the air more than the rest of the country...FIRE!
    steve
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,637
    Options
    That was always my thought about asbestos abatement. When they installed it they didn't cover everything in plastic and wipe everything up when they were done, scraps that didn't get swept up would have ended up pushed inside walls and covered up with baseboards and such to be found decades later.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,833
    Options

You guys are really off subject!
    First of all, Look at BROGA's profile picture, this guy can't live anywhere near California! So his boiler can't cause cancer!
    Next ...BROGA has had Asbestos issues in the past (January) with pipe insulation... so he has a serious concern... since he probably spent BIG $$$ to have that stuff removed!
    Finally... Broga... was the shirt you are wearing in your profile picture a gift?

FOR REAL: The combustion chamber and related gaskets in that boiler do not have asbestos, but the ceramic fiber that is used in the fireproof chamber and gaskets can cause cancer, so use the proper precautions. long sleeve overalls, a respirator with good filters or a dust mask at the bare minimum, and gloves. I use two pare of nitrile gloves and tape them to the coverall sleeves. Once I am finished, I go outside and remove the coveralls and place them in a plastic bag to be laundered at a future time. The last thing off is the face mask!

When i was 16 years old, I was in charge of filling up a 50 gallon barrel with bags of dry asbestos cement for distribution to the 16 oil burner mechanics and installers that worked for the family business. Once the Cancer Warning came out, I was already overly exposed and decided to protect my lungs to the best of my ability from that point on!

Still breathing today with original equipment from 1955.

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics