Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam boiler replacement question

Options
I looked at replacing a boiler today. I added up all the radiation in the house and came up with 239.5 sq. ft., then multiplied by 1.5 for the pick up factor. I then converted to btu's and came up with 86,220 btu. If I go to the D.O.E chart for the mega steam boiler it says the 288 will be enough btu wise but not for the sq. ft. of radiation with the pick up factored in. Should I use the 396 because it covers the sq. ft. with the pick up factor? The 396 is whats in there but I think it may be a little oversized. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    You shouldn't use more than 1.33 for a pickup factor. If the mains are insulated (as they should be), you could need even less.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    And furthermore... if you are directly comparing your square feet of radiation to the boiler EDR rating, you shouldn't factor in the pickup factor at all. It's already in the EDR rating. The way I read the Megasteam specs the 288 should be just fine.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    @billtheplmbr3845 agree with the above.
  • billtheplmbr3845
    billtheplmbr3845 Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Thanks, I was leaning tword the 288. I used the 1.5 pick up because that was what I thougt I read in The Lost Art. The mains are not insulated, just some left over asbestos, the owner will not spend the extra money for insulation, already suggested that. Thanks for the advice.
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,525
    Options
    1.5 is for only when there is no pipe insulation. It’s far cheaper to insulate those pipes.
    Retired and loving it.