Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Please help identify my a/c

xxgiselle912xx
xxgiselle912xx Member Posts: 3
Can someone help me to identify my A/C so that I can get the proper thermostat. Because my A/C unit does not turn on or off when it's supposed to. We get hot, then we freeze at night when it runs all night.

Thank you

Comments

• RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,459
    Easiest thing to do is take a picture of the existing thermostat. If you can get a picture of the wiring connections inside will help
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
    Airbender_Mechanical
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    You need to confirm that you have AC only or AC with heat pump.
    Pictures of wire connections at furnace will help.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    Has it been confirmed it’s the t-stat?
    Several things can cause large temperature swings.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Look at the tags on the original post. Sounds like a dual system, perhaps a heat pump/FHW pairing.

In any case, need some pics! Use the little pictury icon above the editor window (first one to the left of the 3 text alignment buttons on the right) to add the pictures inline, or the attach-file icon to its left if you don't want them inlined.

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    edited May 2019
    @xxgiselle912xx
    Hello?
    Highlight the ☆ near your topic title so you can receive email notifications for your issue.
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • xxgiselle912xx
    ok, sorry it took me so long to get back to you.. here is the pic of my thermostat. Thank You

• pecmsg
    Any standard 1) stage heat 1) stage cool will work

I like the Honeywell Touch Screen
  • pecmsg
    If there's no extra wires in the wall you'll have to replace the batteries twice a year! If there is an extra you'll need a contractor to connect it to the transformer.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    That is a standard 1 heat/1 cool thermostat. Any 1H,1C thermostat will work but digital would be better than your type with a bi-metal helix.
    Are you positive the thermostat is the issue? If you switch it to off does it still run?
    The fan inside and the outdoor unit both wont shut off?
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Wonder if it’s cycling on high pressure or even low pressure during the day, so they set it to 68F trying to compensate. At night, it still cycles, but it satisfies at 68F. Just a possible theory.

IF the thermostat was the issue, it would generally misbehave all the time, but just when it’s warmer outside.

1) Make sure condenser coil is clean
    2) make sure air filter is clean.
    3) If accessible, check indoor coil to see if it’s clean.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    One simple trick- the next time you’re over cooling, try and disconnect the Y wire from the stat. If the system is still running, you know it’s not a stat issue. Maybe a mouse chewed a wire, maybe a mechanical issue at the indoor unit
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • xxgiselle912xx
    Thank you guys so much, this will totally save my family a lot of money... Also, take our headaches away from having to keep turning it on and off. Thank you!
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I can't tell for sure but the heat anticipator on your tstat. might be missing a piece. I would replace the tstat regardless of any other issues. Do not get a nest type.