Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water in high pressure steam header

Options
larryh
larryh Member Posts: 2
150 psi fire tube boiler. Feed water is on a recirculating loop and is fed to boiler via a fisher control valve. The eeprom in the valve control failed open and the Boiler began to fill with water. This condition was caught by a sharp stationary engineer and safely shut down. QUESTION: what happens if the water continues and fills into the steam header?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,313
    Options
    That depends... what does the boiler feed? if it's a turbine or an engine, the water -- even a small amount of it -- will destroy it in remarkably short order. Otherwise... nothing much. Other than shutting everything down. if there are pressure reducing valves, they could also be damaged.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,534
    Options
    @larryh
    Steam is always condensing in the steam header so water always has to have a way to get out. If it didn't you would have constant hammering. It either goes back into the boiler or out through a steam trap.

You should consider putting overflow steam traps pipe at a level near the top of your gage glass. Then if you have a feed water valve failure the water will go back to the boiler feed tank
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,580
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Nothing much. But my system may be different. I have four boilers on a common header at 100psi. Sometimes, I get mild hammering but mostly, i find it with no or low pressure on the gage. High water cut off prevents boiler from firing. Another boiler picks up the load. I suppose, water drains to surge tank from traps on header.
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    Depends on the system. On a large industrial system, on startup, you have to warm it slowly and open a bunch of drains to remove condensate that hte troops can’t all handle, otherwise the hammering with blow out piping. I’ve seen flanges on 12” 150psi elbows rip open.

Yes, on a turbine, they can ONLY be fed superheated steam. They work only on pressure/temperature reduction, not phase change.
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    Options
    I’ve seen this happen on several occasions. All were high pressure steam firetubes with no high level cut out. It can cause some pretty nasty water hammer.
    Never stop learning.