Hi guys. First I wanted to say thank you for this site, which is the best knowledgebase of steamheating tips and tricks available. Using what was written here, I was able to take a mostly non-functional system and bring it back to life.
I pitched all the radiators, and installed properly sized valves (not oversized).
I set the pressuretrol to 0.5 / 1 diff. Previous owner had it at 3 psi + 4 diff.
It is using less gas now and all the rooms get nice and hot, where when I moved in some radiators were just not working at all. My next move is going to be to upgrade the main vents (which can hardly be called that, as you'll see from the attached pictures.)
I need to add some more insulation, and there is what is presumed asbestos (because of age and appearance) insulating the main run.
I wanted to upload some pictures and see what you thought of the way this boiler was installed and piped, for academic reasons mostly. The system is currently working very well in spite of having inadequate main venting.
This is about a 30 foot total run. 20ish feet off to the front of the building, which is a right angle off the boiler and a straight shot, and then a strange 180 degree turn that leads to the rear of the building, which is colder probably because of that 180 in the pipe, which runs about 10 feet.
My plan is to put a big mouth in the front vent on the longer run and a gorton #1 on the shorter run.
misc boiler and pipe pics. The glass itself here is dirty, not the water. Initially the water was very dirty and I had to drain and clean it because rusty water was bubbling up through the vents. That condition has been resolved, but the glass itself is discolored and I have not cleaned that yet.
here's the 180. front of the building is to the left of the picture, rear to the right.