Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Noisy blower wheel on residential Forced Air furnace

George76George76 Posts: 6Member
If anybody feels like taking a look at this video to verify what I'm seeing, please feel free:

A tech replaced the blower motor and cleaned the fan blades a month ago, so ruling out motor or dirty blower wheel. Blower wheel seems balanced(stops spinning nicely without turning counterclockwise). But...

Well, please take a look, and let me know if you see what I see:

Comments

• George76George76 Posts: 6Member
    Just to clarify, the tech replaced the motor because it died. This is a more recent problem of a noisy blower wheel, which was either already present or was possibly caused by bad motor.
  • SuperTechSuperTech Posts: 935Member
    I don't know, all I can hear is the TV in the background. Can't determine anything from that video.
  • EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 5,271Member
    If it is noisy with the new motor he likely damaged the blower wheel getting it off the old motor
    > @EBEBRATT-Ed said:
    > If it is noisy with the new motor he likely damaged the blower wheel getting it off the old motor

Or perhaps he over tightened the belly band on the motor? Maybe knocked one of the balancing weights off the wheel and it's out of balance? Can't determine anything from the video.
  • ratioratio Posts: 1,881Member
    An out of balance wheel could have caused the original motor to fail. If I were to replace the motor, I'd likely replace the wheel as well. It'd be cheaper to do it at the same time, as opposed to a second site visit.
  • HVACNUTHVACNUT Posts: 1,900Member
    Yeah, c'mon man. You want us to hear a noise and all I hear is the news.
    It doesn't look out of balance.
    Are you holding the blower assembly in your lap while taping? It should be in the equipment if you want to post a real example.
    Cant tell if an ECM, variable speed or PSC. In any case, solving a blower motor issue would require running with the doors on and checking amps.
    Reversible Rescue motor? Is it the correct rotation?
  • Intplm.Intplm. Posts: 434Member
    Sounds good to me. Can't hear what you are describing.
  • mikeg2015mikeg2015 Posts: 640Member
    Check rotation. Also, cleaning a blower wheel works sometimes, but often you can’t get it 100% clean and what you don’t remove ends up throwing it out of balance. Might need to replace the wheel too.

Honestly, its not that hard to pull a blower and change the wheel.
    Sorry about the confusion.

Just to clarify again---forgot to mention, this is being spun by hand and was looking for somebody to acknowledge that wheel looks out of balance/alignment. It rotates every couple seconds---if you pay attention to the gap between housing and wheel, you can see the gap change a bit on every rotation..

I bought some evaporator coil cleaner to alleviate any blockage/restriction of air flow, but have to figure out how to disconnect piping/obstructions. It's a 90% efficient furnace with pvc piping.

Compared it to unit upstairs and definitely is definitely louder.

I ordered a new blower wheel, hopefully replacing it will fix problem.
  • JUGHNEJUGHNE Posts: 5,452Member
    Before you cut anything how about showing us what is in the way?
    I'll do that next time I'm over there
    You should have applied line voltage to the motor with it removed from the unit. At the motors full speed you should easily be able to determine if the wheel is causing the noise, whatever it sounds like.

Noise from a wheel out of balance is completely different from noise due to a restriction in air flow from a plugged coil.
    Static pressure readings will show you if the coil is plugged without cutting anything.
  • DZoroDZoro Posts: 716Member
    agree with all the above and add that a plugged secondary heat exchanger can also make the blower/wheel sound like the culprit. Check A/C coil also.