Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Multi Honeywell Thermo, Heating Cycle Rate (0240) Adj.

Adolfo2
Adolfo2 Member Posts: 32
It’s been beaten-to-death, and I understand (or think I do 😉) how the Heating Cycle Rate (0240) setting works. I have an oversized ModCon (Lochinvar WHN110), so the recommended setting of “3” will cause the thermostat to check the ambient temperature 3x an hour and potentially trigger a call for heat.

What’s the consensus on the “recommended” setting for the 0240 parameter when there are three, copper-fin baseboard heating zones, and each is controlled by an 8000 Series, Honeywell Thermostat?

Wouldn’t a setting of “3” potentially cause 9x calls for heat per hour? Now the odds of all nine calls happening sequentially, at 7-minute intervals, is rather low (will mostly overlap) but it could happen in theory… Is a lower setting (2 or possibly even 1) preferable in this case?

Very curious as to how others have handled this.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,106
    Buffer tank. Let the buffer tank temperature control the boiler, and the three thermostats control the circulators (or secondary circulator and zone valves, as the case may be).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    pecmsg
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,110

Buffer tank. Let the buffer tank temperature control the boiler, and the three thermostats control the circulators (or secondary circulator and zone valves, as the case may be).

X-2
  • Adolfo2
    Adolfo2 Member Posts: 32

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't have a buffer tank :'(
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,106
    edited January 2019
    Adolfo2 said:

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't have a buffer tank :'(
    That's too bad, since it really is the only way to handle this sort of situation. Can you put one in? You actually have three problems -- one is the widely varying load on the system (a 3 to 1 range), another is the probability of randomly spaced calls, and the third is the oversize boiler. If you could install a buffer tank and outdoor reset, you might well be able to boost overall system efficiency considerably.

You might be able to reduce the number of boiler starts and stops, however, by wiring the system using relays so that it only will run the boiler when all three thermostats are calling for heat, Take a hit on comfort, but the boiler would be happier.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Adolfo2ratio
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    I'm running my mod-con (properly sized) on 2 CHP and it seems to be working out well.

FWIW- some of the VisionPro 8000 series could be set anywhere between 1-12 CPH, other VisionPro 8000 series only have options for 1/3/5/7 CHP.

You could try to set it 2 CPH, if you don't have that option then try 1 CPH.
    Of course that will not address boiler "short cycling" but it will address short, frequent calls for heat.
    Adolfo2