Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pilot light on a American standard GPH 100 propane gas boiler

lynnhenry
lynnhenry Member Posts: 3
the pilot light on a 1966 furans goes out randomly. Does anyone have a suggestion on what is the cause of this?

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,747
    Old age?
    kcopp
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,201
    How long has it been since the pilot light and burners were cleaned? Has the thermocouple been replaced?
  • lynnhenry
    edited January 2019
    Just replaced the thermocouple last month. Has been many years since the pilot light and burners have been cleaned. How do I clean them. I am kinda of a do it yourself on this because we live a $ service call for the furnas person. I can’t think it would be real hard. Thanks.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,108
    There are a whole list of reasons why a pilot light may go out randomly. They range from low gas pressure to other adjustment problems to poor draught conditions to simply old age and wear to dirt to... further, once the system has been properly cleaned and any problems found put to rights, it needs to be properly adjusted -- and there is no way to do that strictly by eye. It needs someone with the correct test equipment and the knowledge to use it to do it properly.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    Is this a furnace or a boiler? What is the Make and Model and what is the make of the gas valve?
  • lynnhenry
    It is a boiler
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,633
    There are many reasons why. You need to answer question on Make and Model along with gas valve and controls identification so we can then start to help you.