Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

inducer motor runs anytime the circulator pump runs

Options
aamco101
aamco101 Member Posts: 8
I have a 2010 system 2000 boiler and the inducer motor runs anytime the circulator pump runs. I have oil heat, 2 zones, and a hot water tank zone. I only have one circutator pump.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    And you have a wiring problem -- without a complete diagram of the circuit, impossible to diagnose.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Jim Hankinson
    Jim Hankinson Member Posts: 99
    Options
    If the circ is running there's evidently a call for heat or HW in which case the burner will run to heat the boiler. This will bring on the inducer also.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options

If the circ is running there's evidently a call for heat or HW in which case the burner will run to heat the boiler. This will bring on the inducer also.

Doesn't the inducer run during s safety shutdown?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    aamco101 said:

I have a 2010 system 2000 boiler and the inducer motor runs anytime the circulator pump runs. I have oil heat, 2 zones, and a hot water tank zone. I only have one circutator pump.

It sounds like you have incorrect wiring. The inducer should be tied to the boiler ignition controls and should not necessarily run during the entire heat call.
    Do be careful and hire a tech if you do not fully understand the controls. Incorrectly wired inducers can lead to very unsafe operating conditions.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    All control wiring goes through the Manager so unless someone rewired it...
    You'll need a tech familiar with EK.
  • aamco101
    Options

• aamco101
    Options
    This is the wiring diagram. The inducer is wired to the inducer contact at the contact block. Dip switch 2 is on. I tried turning on dip switch 3 and it made no difference. I may have to wire it to the burner motor and turn the dip switch off. This won't give me any pre or post firing venting so I don't know if it is a good idea.
    Any thoughts?
  • aamco101
    Options
    Sorry, it was dip switch 4 I turned on. It only has the standard dip switch.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,845
    Options
    aamco101 said:

This is the wiring diagram. The inducer is wired to the inducer contact at the contact block. Dip switch 2 is on. I tried turning on dip switch 3 and it made no difference. I may have to wire it to the burner motor and turn the dip switch off. This won't give me any pre or post firing venting so I don't know if it is a good idea.
    Any thoughts?

Not a good Idea.

Zman
  • Jim Hankinson
    Jim Hankinson Member Posts: 99
    Options
    Manager operation is as follows: If the burner locks out the 140º temp bar starts flashing, Inducer (if there is one), burner and circulator lights are on. After 20 minutes the burner light goes off and the monitor light comes on. All zone outputs (excluding ZHW) come on. After 25 minutes the inducer goes off.

If the power venter is non-EK supplied it is recommended to follow the manufacturer's wiring instructions, in which case the above timing does not apply.
  • aamco101
    Options
    Thank you for the help! I just had the boiler serviced and the technician stated that they normally put a "delay/timer" when the install is done so the inducer doesn't run so long. When the boiler was originally installed. The installer was to incompetent to run the exhaust vent pipe into the chimney flue. Code requires a 2" gap from any combustible material. The vent pipe had to be run behind a wall, so I cut open the wall and confirmed that there was 3" of clearance on each side to run the vent pipe. They ran it twice and it failed inspection both times. I even made them 2" spacer blocks with holes that they could attache to the vent pipe with zip-ties! Still failed. They finally just gave up and installed a side wall power vent. The power vent exhausted on to my AC condenser unit and damaged the AC condenser. They came back and wouldn't do anything for me. I had to have the AC unit mover and repaired. So it doesn't surprise me that they short-cut the power vent unit installation. Based on the previous wiring schematic and the issue I have now, do you know what parts I would need to correct the issue and how I should wire it?
    Thanks for all the help
    Ken
  • aamco101
    Options
    This is the power vent I have.
  • aamco101
    Options
    This is the power vent I have in jpeg version.