Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostat placement

brandonf
brandonf Member Posts: 205
Anyone feel like sharing the theories on thermostat placement? Coldest room? Warmest room? Draffiest room? North side of the house? Does height matter? The unit is all one level with 9-foot ceilings and one pipe Steam. Since I'm remodeling I have a digital thermostat connected and sitting on my nightstand in my bedroom. The temperature in the house feels pretty even for the most part. Especially since I leave it on 70 and stopped doing setbacks. Just wondering if there is a method to the madness. Thanks in advance
Homeowner, Entrepreneur, Mechanic, Electrician,

"The toes you step on today are connected to the butt you'll have to kiss tomorrow". ---Vincent "Buddy" Cianci

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    I usually put them 5' off the floor. Keep it away from radiators, air ducts etc. Keep it away from lamps or light bulbs. Put it in a place with decent air circulation, not trapped in a corner, no outside walls.

When you bring the wires in the back plug any oversized hole with silicone, toilet paper etc.

I would get some thermometers and place them around the house in the middle of each room.

Try and balance the system prior to picking the final spot.

If you put it in the warmest room all other rooms will be cold. put it in the coldest room and other rooms will overheat. If you can get it balanced the location will be less important.

The rooms you generally sit in are the best choices
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    I like them a little lower in height. Closer to just above the head level when seated. Usually around 4-1/2 feet. It put it in a room that’s most occupied or a foyer or hallway. Interior wall away from exterior doors. I’d put in on the north or west side of the house so solar gain doesn’t effect it. Make sure the low sun in winter wont shine on it from a window.

BE SURE TO SEL THE WALL PENETRATION. Older home often have a lot of air movement inside the walls that will impact it.

If it also controls forced air cooling or heating, you want it near the returns and furthest from supplies.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Eye level in a representative area least influenced by outdoor air sources and indoor heat emitters.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    Canuckerratio
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    I always install 60" off the floor. One thing I see too often is that some guys will install in a hallway on the 2nd floor away from the bedrooms being heated. Then the doors are closed at night and the have no way to judge the proper heating.... :#
    Install in a central location in a area that in not effected by sunlight, a drafty door or a additional heat source.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Single Family Residence Eye Level or 60"

Structures requiring ADA compliance 42" Height and 42" reach sitting!
    Canucker
  • BoilOver2
    BoilOver2 Member Posts: 38
    Or...... Get something like an ecobee, put the thermostat wherever is convenient (fairly centrally located) and use remote sensors placed in key areas to get an average between several different locations. The sensors are advertised to reach 45 feet or so if I recall. It's a more expensive option, but might be worth looking into