Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Why this pump?

Options
This pump is in the cabinet of an old Crane Basmor 120,000 BTU boiler and it's making a loud screeching noise that transmits throughout the house and wakes their brand new baby and if you remember back to when you had young children, your only chance of a break was when they slept.

The sound is coming from either the bearing assembly or the impeller hitting the volute, but I don't want to spend a lot of time figuring out which, besides my B & G rep. says the pump is discontinued. It's not a series 100 pump and the only marking on it is "E 1¼" and the flanges are 4 bolt.

The house is about 1,200 square feet, has 6 or 7 rads. I'm tempted to install a Grundfos 15-58 in it's place, but wonder why the B & G is so large. I'm thinking at since the piping was 1¼, they installed what was then called a 1¼ pump. Any comments?

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    That's a BAP. I'm sure all the parts are available to rebuild. However, if you watch the video and see what's involved, you'd be wise to just replace it with the Grunfos.
    Looks like the bolts aren't all rusted up so you can leave the sawzall in the truck.
    And with threaded pipe of course, you can switch to some iso flanges...right?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Zman
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,873
    Options
    120K in 1200 Sq Ft?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,574
    Options
    Everything is likely way oversized for 1200 sq feet boiler, pump and piping....................but they all match up 120,000=12 gpm =1 1/4 pipe.

Don't know if the 120K is input or output? so 12 gpm if output or 10 gpm if input. Pretty low head probably 10' would do it
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    I have since found out that this pump is obsolete; even my B&G rep. has never seen one before.

I think fitting a new circulator into the 8½" flange-to-flange space would be hard. In addition, I would have to take those 4-bolt flanges off which would be challenging.

I'm hoping to salvage the pump, but replace the bearing assembly if I can find a match. A new one is $$$, but I may have one in my graveyard.

• Scott M_2
    Scott M_2 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Not trying to be a wise **** but did you try oiling the bearing assembly?even if it’s bad it may give you some relief temporarily.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,022
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Yes, that was the first thing I tried. No luck.

It could be the impeller scraping the volute; just can't tell.

• GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,919
    Options
    Is there no nipple above or below the existing flanges that one could remove and replace with the correct one to fit a 15-58 and new iso flanges? Or cut a new thread perhaps?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Would it be possible to put a 15-58 in the supply and just leave that old thing in place if it’s not leaking? I doubt it would offer much resistance to flow.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,022
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Brilliant!

I was laying in bed this morning and that same idea popped up. Did you transmit?

Why deal with the uncertainty of a bearing assembly that may not fit.

The bad thing is that Loretta is really going to make me get rid of my B&G graveyard now.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Our first day of rain today in 8 months. Looking forward to not having to wear my dust mask from all the smoke from the big fire just northeast of us.

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    We've had the wettest summer and fall that I can remember. If the were only some way to pipe some of it your way.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.