Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Keeping the steam boiler running in cold weather

MikeNJ
MikeNJ Member Posts: 14
I was advised I should leave my boiler running in cold weather even if I am out of the house. Is there a guide on what temperature I should not let my thermostat go below? When I woke up this morning it was 28 degrees out and the thermostat was 59 degrees downstairs. I am running forced air upstairs in my house so switch the steam off completely off when I go to bed and don’t turn it on again until I come home from work the next evening.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,756
    What are you hoping to accomplish by doing this? Knowing what you want will help give you better input.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • MikeNJ
    > @KC_Jones said:
    > What are you hoping to accomplish by doing this? Knowing what you want will help give you better input.
    >

I was told if I don’t leave it running it could freeze the pipes and lead to a much bigger problem if I let it freeze and try to turn it on
  • KC_Jones
    I meant why are you leaving it off? Do you have some goal in mind by doing that in the first place?

I agree doing what you are is a huge freezing risk.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • MikeNJ
    > @KC_Jones said:
    > I meant why are you leaving it off? Do you have some goal in mind by doing that in the first place?
    >
    > I agree doing what you are is a huge freezing risk.

I’ve only had it off cause I am worried about it running out of water with my manual filler but after running the heat solid for a few days, very little water has went down on the gauge.

In terms of the original question, would you recommend a temp to keep my thermostat at?
  • KC_Jones
    Leave it at whatever you are comfortable at, if you want to do setback I'd suggest 3 degrees max.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • MikeNJ
    > @KC_Jones said:
    > Leave it at whatever you are comfortable at, if you want to do setback I'd suggest 3 degrees max.

I’d like to leave it at the minimum temp possible as I am out of the house for long periods. I don’t know what the temperature range should be though. I am new to the steam game.
  • KC_Jones
    We can't tell you that in all honesty. I keep mine at 72 and still have a spot that will freeze the pipes due to exposure when it gets frigid for several days. I don't know what your house is like, that's something you will have to figure out over time.

Honestly the setting isn't about steam, water pipes will freeze in any house that is left too cold. If I had to be pinned down on a number I'd say 60 is as low as I would go, but again that's only if I knew the pipes won't freeze.

Define long periods?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,354
    KC_Jones said:

still have a spot that will freeze the pipes due to exposure when it gets frigid for several days.

water pipes will freeze in any house that is left too cold. If I had to be pinned down on a number I'd say 60 is as low as I would go, but again that's only if I knew the pipes won't freeze.

Define long periods?

A layer of burlap between pipe and outside wall makes big difference.
  • MikeNJ
    > @KC_Jones said:
    > We can't tell you that in all honesty. I keep mine at 72 and still have a spot that will freeze the pipes due to exposure when it gets frigid for several days. I don't know what your house is like, that's something you will have to figure out over time.
    >
    > Honestly the setting isn't about steam, water pipes will freeze in any house that is left too cold. If I had to be pinned down on a number I'd say 60 is as low as I would go, but again that's only if I knew the pipes won't freeze.
    >
    > Define long periods?

> @KC_Jones said:
    > We can't tell you that in all honesty. I keep mine at 72 and still have a spot that will freeze the pipes due to exposure when it gets frigid for several days. I don't know what your house is like, that's something you will have to figure out over time.
    >
    > Honestly the setting isn't about steam, water pipes will freeze in any house that is left too cold. If I had to be pinned down on a number I'd say 60 is as low as I would go, but again that's only if I knew the pipes won't freeze.
    >
    > Define long periods?

Only like hours at a time, as in 10 hours or so extending to maybe a day or 2. I had heard it was advised to keep between 50-55 but I would agree with you and be more inclined to push that up to 60 degrees.
  • KC_Jones
    jumper said:

KC_Jones said:

still have a spot that will freeze the pipes due to exposure when it gets frigid for several days.

water pipes will freeze in any house that is left too cold. If I had to be pinned down on a number I'd say 60 is as low as I would go, but again that's only if I knew the pipes won't freeze.

Define long periods?

A layer of burlap between pipe and outside wall makes big difference.
    Everything is insulated, but the room has never had heat. I am hoping to resolve that soon.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Murphy says power goes out or the boiler quite when it already 55F in the house so no our scrambling for a solution. New Years last year I was 12 hours away on vacation when I checked my thermostat from my phone and it was 56F (setback was 60F) and said boiler was calling. Took a lot of calls to get someone in to check the boiler. Ended up the draft damper failed. Just had ot flip a switch. Tried to walk a friend through troubleshooting. Took 2 days to get a contractor in since it was -10F overnight, high of 5F those 2 days. My heat pump kept it over 50F indoors, but I was nervous about one bathroom with pipes near the wall. Luckily 1’ of stone and brick cool off slowly.

When it was finally fixed, it ran for I think 3 hours straight.... 300kBTU.
    ethicalpaul
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,489
    Steam is really effective when a room is cold - the convection really starts to cook.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge