Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HWBB piping leak...uh oh.

Options
FranklinD
FranklinD Member Posts: 399
My friend called me up this morning saying he found a leak in his water heater closet. Upon examination, it’s at the “manifolds” for his half of the houses baseboards (original to the house, mid-1950’s built on a slab). The supply and return from the boiler (in the other half of his duplex) run under the slab to the water heater closet and come up out of the floor. These two pipes have been replaced by copper. The supply then splits off, through two reducing tees, into pipes that go back into the slab and off to feed the baseboards. The return “manifold” isn’t visible in this picture. The pipe in the middle coming out of the slab is rotten where it enters the bottom of the tee and a solid stream of water is coming out. We drained pressure off the boiler and stopped the leak with the obvious downside of having no heat. We’re sitting around 15°f here. He talked to his plumber, who is about 3-4 days out on a different job. Is there any reasonable way to temporarily patch it? Normally I’d never ask, I’m not a “temporary repair” kind of guy, but he begged me for ideas beyond JB Weld (no clean metal to bond to here). Thanks!
Ford Master Technician, "Tinkerer of Terror"
Police & Fire Equipment Lead Mechanic, NW WI
Lover of Old Homes & Gravity Hot Water Systems

Comments