Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One-pipe steam baseboard? Will it work?

We are planning to switch from a standard cast iron one-pipe radiator in our bedroom to baseboard heating (about an 8' run). The only cast-iron baseboard I could find is the Burnham Baseray, but the installation manual says it is not recommended for a one-pipe system. However, my installer says he has installed a few before and says they work well. Does this make sense. Any recommendations? We want to avoid banging/knocking, etc.

Also, I have not gone over the layout with him, but the since the pipe comes up in the middle of the run, I am assuming there might need to be two 4' runs connected to a single pipe. Would that potentially make things better or worse?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    As I understand it -- and more knowledgeable folk than I will probably comment -- the problem with one pipe steam baseboard is getting the condensate to drain properly without hammering -- and again as I understand it, the trick is enough pitch on the baseboard. Two shorter lengths will work better than one longer one, I would think.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    They limit it to 10 ft. Questionable condensate removal with 1 pipe steam.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    I have done this. I strongly recommend to avoid problems have him hook this up two pipe with a supply and a return. Drip the return into a wet return. If a wet return is not available you can drip it into a dry return or back into the steam main by using a condensate loop. It will work fine and you will have no issues if hooked up properly. The condensate will drain much better
    Dan Foley
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    What's the EDR (sq. footage) of the radiator that you're removing? The baseboard may not have as much output.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • biglebowski99
    biglebowski99 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks! Since we live on the top (7th floor) of an old building , and I assume we would ever be able to do a wet return. Also, it's a very long run back to main (through two rooms and floor), so that sounds challenging, as well. Not sure what a "condensate loop" is and how challenging that might be. Since we live in an apartment building, we only really have access to the steam pipe coming up through the floor (a lot of the piping runs through other unit owners' walls)