Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old Crane boiler - to replace or not?

Options
jamiewindham
jamiewindham Member Posts: 1
Old Crane boiler, hot water, cast iron radiators, natural gas fired, single family house, Memphis, TN - model # 8W-102A-PA. I've owned the house for 27 years, no problems. Can't find the model # to find out how old it is.

Should I replace it? One contractor quoting Burnham cast iron boiler replacement, another says it will last 15 more years, don't replace except to increase efficiency with a condensing boiler.

What would current efficiency be?

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    That depends.
    Should you replace it? It really depends upon the condition it's in, how well it's been maintained, how long you're gonna stay there, what the cost of fuel is, and do you really have a competent hydronic contractor.

As far as efficiency goes, there are boilers available from 80 to 96% efficiency. But again, you'd better have a good hydronics man if you wanna marry the high end one's to your system. Get the right guy and he'll make it purr like a kitten: get a knucklehead and he'll mess up the best boiler made.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    How about some pictures especially of the gas valve and controls. Also some pictures of the boiler itself.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,835
    Options
    For safety alone, I say replace. Even if you get an atmospheric 85% boiler, it has more safely devices than a 60+ year old boiler.
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Options
    Atmospheric 85% boiler is really 50% efficient

AFUE is a lie
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,580
    Options
    if it aint broke....but then, what are your heating bills like?

How big is your home?

If I had no problems for 27 years, and my heating bill was reasonable, I’d keep running it.