Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to baby-proof a recessed convection radiator?

Options
JodiMe
JodiMe Member Posts: 74
Anyone out there have any experience baby proofing recessed convection steam radiators? We have a den that we want to turn into a playroom for our 6-month old who will be mobile soon and a sizable recessed radiator, similar to the attached photo. We thought about using a fireplace screen, but I'd prefer something more permanent that won't chance tipping over.

Comments

• willasdad
    willasdad Member Posts: 23
    Options
    I just logged back on to ask a similar question! Commonly found in older homes, radiators would have wooden covers built around them. Think a book case, but instead of shelves there would be a decorative mesh covering the front. In your/our case, you would want to secure the the cover to the wall. I have the same question about CAst iron baseboard? Am I to assume the answer is nearly the same? Anybody seen anything new out there for us child proofing dads?
  • JodiMe
    Options
    *Child proofing mom, here! :)

But yeah. I was thinking of framing a screen with moulding and then maybe hinging it to the wall? Was curious if anyone else had tips before I do trial and error. We certainly can't be the only people w/ recessed radiators in our old homes.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you what to do, but will tell you my opinion. I have free standing cast iron radiators on steam. The worst thing that happened to any of my three children from them is my oldest tripping and pounding his head into one at 2 years old.

Teach them from the very beginning to not touch and they won't. The autonomic nervous system will pull the body part back long before there is any danger of burning, now if your child has some sort of nervous system dysfunction that would be a different story.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    1MatthiasSlamDunk
  • JodiMe
    Options
    Yeah, that was one of my thoughts, too. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Sometimes I think we don't give our kids enough credit!
  • 1Matthias
    1Matthias Member Posts: 148
    edited August 2018
    Options
    KC_Jones said:

I'm not going to tell you what to do, but will tell you my opinion. I have free standing cast iron radiators on steam. The worst thing that happened to any of my three children from them is my oldest tripping and pounding his head into one at 2 years old.

Teach them from the very beginning to not touch and they won't. The autonomic nervous system will pull the body part back long before there is any danger of burning, now if your child has some sort of nervous system dysfunction that would be a different story.

I grew up in an old house with steam. (Still live there!) I learned the first time I tried it to never touch any piping or radiators while they were hot.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    I agree with @KC_Jones. My oldest daughter and son-in-law bought a 100 year old home with 100 year old radiators and my granddaughter touched one of them, once. That was it. Game over. She keeps her distance now.
    Steve Minnich
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Much better the little ones should learn this sort of thing when they are young and learn fast -- rather than when they are teens and think they are invulnerable and immortal...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. Overprotect and they never grow up. They are smart and will learn. No one wants a child hurt.