Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

New heat pump with 5/16" liquid line?

Does anyone know of manufacturer that has ratings for their heat pump to be used with a 5/16" liquid line? We have a replacement job, that has an existing 25' silv flos'ed liquid line that we would like to re use. I know most manufacturers now are calling for 3/8", But if possible we would like to re use this line and save the customer the extra charge in having it replaced. Thanks to all. '

Comments

• Steve MinnichSteve Minnich Member Posts: 2,474
    About 25 years ago, I had a compressor fail within the warranty time frame. I was denied the warranty because I used a 7/8" suction line on 4 ton system that should have had a an 1 1/8" suction line because of its extended length. That was a hard lesson to learn. I never give them an opportunity to deny, anymore.
    PHC News Columnist
    Minnich Hydronic Consulting & Design
  • JUGHNEJUGHNE Member Posts: 6,154
    Was this 5/16 on an old R-22 system?
    Ruud/Rheem did the 5/16 years ago.

A new 410A HP?
  • zepfanzepfan Member Posts: 273
    Thanks for the response. It is a Trane 1987 2 ton, r22 air handler, and we would be installing an 410a hp and air handler
  • unclejohnunclejohn Member Posts: 1,420
    Should be ok up to 3 tons. Add as much 3/8th as you can at the unit. I have never had a warranty job denied.
    Is the remaining oil from the R-22 system a concern?
    Or how do you deal with it?
    Or is it as much of the issue that was thought when 410A became popular?
  • John Mills_5John Mills_5 Member Posts: 930
    Rheem is fine with it in long lengths up to 3 on, above better be pretty short.

Otherwise I'd check with tech support on the brand you want to use. I called 1 brand once and was told absolutely nothing less than 3/8". Dead comps usually don't go back so yes, warranty won't be denied but it will cost someone!

Old lines blow out with nitro and unless you had a burnout, should be OK. Of course if easy to change I'd much rather see shiny new copper. POE oil is a GOOD cleaner removing any crud built up on the inside of the old lines.
    On a walk in cooler I had both TXV plugged screens twice after 134A and new oil.
    So for a heat pump with possibly TXV inside and out, also reversing valve, where is the best place for the bi-flow filter drier.....would one for each end be a consideration?
  • EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 6,101
    5/16 will be fine for 2 tons. Blast it with nitrogen first
  • G Averill_2G Averill_2 Member Posts: 44
    Our refrigeration and air conditioning staffs recommend a product by Nu Calgon, item number Rx-11-flush when changing refrigerants. Take a look on their website.
  • pecmsgpecmsg Member Posts: 954
    Flushes cause more damage and are not advised. just blow out the line set. No issues with a mixture of POE & MO.
    Remember the POE oil is a cleaning agent, We recommend a suction filter in use for several days to trap any and all crap that will come back to the compressor. Remove it after a few days.