Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.
Need to contact us? Visit

Relocation of water main

brandonfbrandonf Posts: 58Member
edited February 19 in Water Quality
I want to move over my water meter, backflow preventer, and expansion tank. I'd like to move them over to the right a little closer to the gas meters. I want to upgrade the size of all of them as well. They are all 1/2 inch, and the pipe coming into the house is 1 inch. I'll be replacing the rest of the plumbing in the basement with at least 3/4 inch since it's a mess.
Is there anything I should know about touching the backflow preventer and the expansion tank? I want to put the expansion tank vertical also.
Anyone think the Water Dept will bust my chops?

Any tips greatly appreciated.


  • ZmanZman Posts: 4,067Member
    You never know with a water department. They will want to be involved with anything effecting the meter or BFP. They will also want to turn off the curb stop themselves. Licensed plumber?
    I would show them the pictures and explain that you would like to make it better and see what they say.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 3,894Member
    The meter probably belongs to the water dept, so I doubt you can change that. You will have to shut it off at the curb stop if you move the meter.

    Be careful with the electrical grounding. That has to go back together clean and tight.

    One note of caution, If their are any loose neutral connections in your electrical system or in any of your neighbors systems this could cause power to flow through the bare ground wire and your water pipe. Best thing is check the water pipe and the bare ground wire with an ammeter before disconnecting any ground wires
Sign In or Register to comment.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!